Can You Make Rolled Fondant Without A Stand Mixer?

Baking By RebecaR Updated 1 Dec 2012 , 11:56pm by Ducky316

RebecaR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RebecaR Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 3:45am
post #1 of 8

Hello everybody, I have read many wonderful news about Michele Foster's fondant recipe so I decided to look up the recipe. I noticed that it called for a stand mixer in order to mix the fondant, but sadly I do not own a stand mixer. icon_sad.gif But I really want to test out the recipe, is there any way that I can make the fondant without the use of a stand mixer? I have a Kitchenaid 5 speed hand mixer. Will this be strong enough to make the fondant? Thank you to everyone for their help. icon_smile.gif

7 replies
AmandaKB6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKB6 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 3:55am
post #2 of 8

AI've never used that fondant recipe, but I always make my fondant by hand. I've never used my stand mixer and it comes out great. Don't use a hand mixer, I don't see that ending well. Good luck!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 3:58am
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can make fondant without a mixer.

RebecaR Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 4:02am
post #4 of 8

AmandaKB6 and icer101- how would I make the fondant by hand? icon_smile.gif I am new to making fondant. icon_smile.gif

AmandaKB6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmandaKB6 Posted 29 Nov 2012 , 5:21am
post #5 of 8

Just kneed it. You can mix it in a greased bowl with a well greased wooden spoon. You don't add all of the powdered sugar though, maybe all but 2 cups, then knead it on a powdered sugar covered surface and that is when you add the remaining sugar. Or, you could put a lot of powdered sugar on your counter and dump the wet ingredients on top, grease your hands and mix/knead adding the remaining sugar. That's how I do mine.

RebecaR Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 1:17am
post #6 of 8

AmandaKB6- I can't thank you enough for your help. I will be trying out your method with making fondant. icon_biggrin.gif

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 30 Nov 2012 , 3:58am
post #7 of 8

I made Michele Fosters fondant without a stand mixer. (It would kill it)! It worked fine by hand although it did stick to my fingers like crazy  thumbs_up.gif

Ducky316 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ducky316 Posted 1 Dec 2012 , 11:56pm
post #8 of 8

I use my stand mixer to make my marshmallow fondant, but I can do it by hand too...I only prefer the stand mixer because it's less messy, and less work! lol I would NOT use a hand mixer...the motor will burn out on it before it's even done. (Regardless of how you do it, it still will require some kneading)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%