Buying Caramel And Chocolate

Sugar Work By MoniCakes7818 Updated 13 Nov 2012 , 4:55pm by Apti

MoniCakes7818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniCakes7818 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 9:34pm
post #1 of 5

Hey all,

So I took a candy making course not too long ago and thought that this year I can give away  candy box as gifts. so my question is where can I get caramel and actual chocolate for canidies at a good price. The caramel and Chocolate we used in class was from Peters i think which the "candy" side of nestle at least that's what we were told. I haven't looked into ordering directly from them I thought I'd ask here first.

The place where i took the classes sell this but I think she's over pricing everything. Anyone have any ideas on where I could go? I'm Chicago.

Thank you so much

p.s. I refuse to use wilton candy melts. LOL

4 replies
Dani1081 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dani1081 Posted 12 Nov 2012 , 9:52pm
post #2 of 5

Country Kitchen Sweet art . . .they have EVERYTHING and ship quickly and reasonably.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 2:26am
post #3 of 5

Your best bet is to find the cake decorating specialty stores in your area and compare prices.  I did a quick search and found this:

http://www.cakewalkchicago.com/

Since Chicago is a very large city, you may also have a Bakery Supply Warehouse somewhere in the area.   If you do find a bakery supply warehouse, they may only sell wholesale, but you can ask if they sell to hobby bakers.

The Peter's Caramel Loaf is an excellent choice.

For chocolate, I highly recommend Guittard A'Peels.  I have used these for the past 2 holidays with great success.  Although they are not a "true" chocolate with cocoa butter that requires tempering, they offer a fabulous taste and performance.  I have used both the Dark Chocolate A'Peels and the White Chocolate A'Peels.

The Guittard A'Peels come in bulk packaging:  25 pound box of one color/flavor  (Wholesale pricing without shipping is around $60+)

Peter's Caramel Loaf weighs 5 pounds and runs between $20-$27 before shipping.

MoniCakes7818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoniCakes7818 Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 5

thank you both Dani1081 and Apti for the info. I will check out Country Kitchen Sweet Art. Apti I've gone to cakewalkchicago and don't like the place. The owner is mean and not pleasant to do business with.

thanks for the tip on Guittard A'peels. I'm going to check them out as well.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoniCakes7818 

thank you both Dani1081 and Apti for the info. I will check out Country Kitchen Sweet Art. Apti I've gone to cakewalkchicago and don't like the place. The owner is mean and not pleasant to do business with.

thanks for the tip on Guittard A'peels. I'm going to check them out as well.

Thank you so much again for all your help.

Sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant experience at the Chicago shop.  I hope there is an alternative in the Chicago area. 

2 years ago I took a Wilton chocolate class and then took a separate chocolate class with a very experienced, well-known cake decorator (Kathleen Lange).  Ms. Lange used the Guittard A'Peels in our class and I was stunned at the difference between the Wilton products and the Guittard A'Peels.  Although the A'Peels line of Guittard products still fit the definition of "confectionary chocolate", "compound chocolate", or"candy melts", they taste and melt and mold wonderfully!

I am extraordinarily fortunate to live near a wholesale bakery supply warehouse that also sells to hobby bakers.  Once or twice a year for the past 2 years, I have purchased the 25 pound box of Dark Chocolate Guittard A'Peels, and usually purchase 1 box of the White Chocolate A'Peels and split with another member of my Cake Club.  Trust me, 40 pounds of chocolate is a LOT of chocolate! 

Fresh, newly manufactured, Guittard A'Peels have an 18 month shelf life from the date of manufacture when stored at a consistent 60-70F temp.  My home in So. California stays between 60-85F year round, and I've had no problems with the product 12-14 months from purchase.

I have also heard the Merckens compound chocolates are very, very good.  I haven't tried them because I'm able to buy the Guittard at wholesale. 

When you buy your chocolates, it is important to also purchase Paramount Crystals.  I ALWAYS have these on hand if I need to thin my chocolate (or if I have to use the Wilton candy melts).  Here is a good source:

https://www.slice-heaven.com/store/show/76-320V

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%