Cake Purse Help!

Decorating By IHeartCupcakes Updated 20 Nov 2012 , 4:50pm by IHeartCupcakes

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 8

A

I am going to make a purse cake to put on top of a 2 tier cake and I need some advice on doweling it for travel.  I baked two 6" square cakes (2" thick) and I plan on putting them together vertically (standing up) and cutting down the corners.  This will give me the shape Im looking for. The only problem is if I put a dowel down the middle of the cake, it will be trough the ganache in the middle, and not the cake.  Any advice?  The only thing I can think of is to put a dowel through each 2' layer of cake so it supports both sides of the purse.  I attatched a link below so you can see how I will be putting the cake together in case I didnt explain it well.  My cake is only 2 layers thick, instead of 3 in this photo.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47808398@N05/6066802160/

Thank you so much for any advice you can offer!  Im ganaching the cake tonight and I hope to have a plan.

7 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 8

This is not an easy problem to solve, the way I see it. do you have to take it very far? I think your idea of putting a dowel down into each layer is probably the best way to go, or maybe even two dowels into each side. What diameter are your cakes? Maybe it won't be such a problem if the cakes are smallish. I wish you the best of luck on this one.

IHeartCupcakes Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 9:08pm
post #3 of 8

Oh no, youre making me nervous! LOL  The bottom tier is an 8" square cake, topped with a round 6" cake, then the purse on top.  It has to travel about 40 minutes. Im hoping that it helps that it will be covered in ganache and fondant!

Marianna46 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 5:32pm
post #4 of 8

Well, now that I have more information, I'm a lot less nervous than I was! The smaller the topper, the easier the transport will be, plus it's not like you're going on a 4-hour trip to get it there. I think a dowel on each side will be enough, and of course it will help that you're using both ganache and fondant to cover. If you don't already do it, use some anti-skid material underneath the cake when you're transporting it, and put it on a VERY level surface (I usually use the trunk of my car). Those are the things that have helped me most when transporting - well, that and stabilizing the cake as much as you can, but I think you've got that covered. Let me know how it goes, okay?

IHeartCupcakes Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 8

You are fabulous!!!  Thank you so much!  I will keep you posted.

IHeartCupcakes Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 2:42pm
post #6 of 8

My cake traveled without any problems.  It ended up being very sturdy!  Thank you for all of the suggestions.

Marianna46 Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 8

So happy to hear it! Have you posted a photo yet?

IHeartCupcakes Posted 20 Nov 2012 , 4:50pm
post #8 of 8

Yes, I posted it in my gallery. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%