Cupcake Questions??? Please Help I'm A Newbie

Baking By youniquetreats Updated 8 Dec 2012 , 10:17pm by kazita

youniquetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youniquetreats Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 6:48pm
post #1 of 5

Hi guys I'm new to the cupcake business and I have a few questions based off some things that I have experienced with my customers. I hope someone will respond and help me. Here are my questions:

icon_eek.gif

1. How do I charge for my labor/ set up fees etc? (is there some type of basic formula?)

2. Does anyone have a contract that they use when customers place orders for large events.

3. Does anyone have a program set up to keep track of recipes, costs, customers etc,,,(other than cake boss)

4. How do I charge for add on's (i.e. fondant decorations, themed wrappers)

5. Where can i find order forms?

6.How far in advance do you require customers to make orders?

7. Do you have a go to or favorite site for recipes?

any help or input will be greatly appreciated! I need all I can get...THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

4 replies
saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 5

you may want to ask in the cake business category! http://cakecentral.com/f/18/cake-decorating-business

they may have answers for you there too!

sophymalik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sophymalik Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 9:20pm
post #3 of 5

hi!

okay so question number one:

each cupcake should cost the cost of all the ingrediants decorations rappers etc, times that price by three then divide how many cupcakes there our, the x3 is to cover the electricity etc

question 2: sorry i don't know i am about to start up a bakery myself, all my knowledge comes from my cousin who owns a bakery

question 3: i dont no of any aprart from cake boss, but my cousin uses cake boss and she says it is really helpful! so i would use it, i am going to.

question 4: see question 1 you just add on that and then divide it by how many cupcakes there are :)

question 5: i think that most bakerys make there own... because you need to put your flavours on it your prices and your logo and t&c's

question 6: depends how big the order is... if it is over 100 then probarley 3 days.... it doesnt take long to make lots of cupcakes in a commercial kitchen because the ovens are so big and you have many of them...

question 7: i use recipe books, because they are all tested :) i espically like the recipes in the books of big cupcake companys, espically if they have a tv show!

i really hope this helped good luck x 

youniquetreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youniquetreats Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 5

AYou are such a blessing!!! Thank you sooooooo much im going to start working on this right.away. I will be asking for cake boss for Christmas! Ii only have one oven at this time as im running my business from home under the Florida cottage law. You have been so helpful & nice! I appreciate that!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 8 Dec 2012 , 10:17pm
post #5 of 5

ACupcakeproject.com ultimate vanilla cupcake is all I've tried so far but I've made them several times they are yummy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%