What Would You Do

Decorating By confectionaryperfection Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 10:31am by jessicups31

confectionaryperfection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
confectionaryperfection Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 12:20am
post #1 of 12

the bride sent me this sketch... two days before the wedding she changed her mind on one of the layers,,, and sent another sketch. (ill post that one next) i changed it for a fee. what would you do? what would you have charged for the redo?

11 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 1:52am
post #2 of 12

So the cake was finished and THEN she wanted to change the bottom tier?

Well, at first blush, no, I wouldn't have made the change (and I would have already been paid for the cake).  2 days is ridiculous for her to even think that asking for a change is OK.

But, if it was as simple as buying and adding the crystals, I might have considered it (if I had the time), but for no less than 10X the cost of the crystals--all paid before I purchased the crystals.

JMHO

Rae

jenicharles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenicharles Posted 31 Oct 2012 , 3:12am
post #3 of 12

Was the change the piping or the crystals? Any extra work time for you requires extra pay and you set the price. Time is money. Piping = time and crystals = time and money.

confectionaryperfection Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:24am
post #4 of 12

the change was to remove all the crystals on the 2nd to bottom tier, pipe thin lines and ass thinner crystals. 

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 1:47am
post #5 of 12

2 DAYS before the wedding??

No way, unless you have everything in house and charged a lot more. Thinner piping means more piping equals a lot more work and time. Plus you were to remove the other crystals, which again is more work. Might be that you have to completely redo that tier as well

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Nov 2012 , 2:13am
post #6 of 12

AI wouldnt have the cake done that far in advance, but if that's how you work I would have told her that no changes could be made at that point. Especially if the cake was already stacked and assembled.

confectionaryperfection Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 2:32am
post #7 of 12

the cake wasnt ready, i still had the last draped layer to do. 

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:22am
post #8 of 12

My cakes are all Paid in full one month before the wedding , all changes must be submitted by that date and there are no changes after that date. 

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 3:27am
post #9 of 12

Well, what does your contract with this bride say?  

You can insist on something like NO changes less than seven days before the event.  But you NEED a CONTRACT so the bride has this information when she pays her deposit. 

Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 5:51am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes 

My cakes are all Paid in full one month before the wedding , all changes must be submitted by that date and there are no changes after that date. 

my policy is the same.

two days before??  no way!

jessicups31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicups31 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 10:31am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

You can insist on something like NO changes less than seven days before the event.  But you NEED a CONTRACT so the bride has this information when she pays her deposit. 

jessicups31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessicups31 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 10:31am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%