Figurines On Cake: Gumpaste Or Fondant?

Decorating By EyeRishGrl Updated 25 Oct 2012 , 4:10am by mfruchey

EyeRishGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeRishGrl Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

My son's first birthday is next month. The party theme is sock monkeys, and I've picked out the cake design.

I want to make a relatively small sock monkey figurine for the top of the cake (tiers will be 6 inches and 10 inches).

It's been several years since I've had to make a figurine. Does it matter if I use gumpaste or fondant? Is one better than the other?

4 replies
Lynne3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lynne3 Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 5

Don't use fondant alone. Mix it with tylose powder or Wilton Gumtex powder. They are different but really do the same thing with your figurines. They will be stronger and harder. If your sock monkey is standing, use a lollipop stick as an armature so it doesn't squish down.

S-JK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S-JK Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 5

I think either dependent on the need. If I want the figurine to have the same colours as the fondant coverings I'll use the same coloured fondant mixed with tylose powder - this allows for continuity of colouring. If I'm making figurines that are completely different and unique I'll mix colour into gumpaste. Fondant by itself has never worked for me - it's too pliable and wont hold shape when weight vs gravity kicks in. Hope that helps.

EyeRishGrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeRishGrl Posted 24 Oct 2012 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you! I plan to have the sock monkey sitting on top of the cake, but I'll try the fondant + Tylose.

mfruchey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mfruchey Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 4:10am
post #5 of 5

I typically use a blend of fondant and gumpaste but sometimes just use fondant with tylose mixed in.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%