Help!!! Made Candy Clay And It Won't Stay Hard

Baking By JoyceD Updated 26 Oct 2012 , 3:49pm by doramoreno62

JoyceD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoyceD Posted 19 Oct 2012 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 10

I am trying to get a small box made to sit on top of tomorrow's cake. I made Wilton's candy clay the other day which has been sitting on my counter wrapped. It is hard as a rock before I start to work with and then softens. After I cut my box sides and stick in fridge, it does harden some but then as it warms up, softens again.

Is there anything I can add to this to keep it hard like a candy bar? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

9 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 7:58am
post #2 of 10

I'm sure this answer is probably too late but it may come in handy if it happens again
I mix a bit of tylose powder into gumpaste. Once it is well distributed, I knead the same amount of the gumpaste with the candy clay. The gumpaste stiffens the clay and it should stay harder, although not as hard as gumpaste alone.

JoyceD Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 12:26pm
post #3 of 10

I have never worked with this medium. What proportions are used to say, a 1lb batch or candy clay or fondant? If I am understanding correctly, it is used in conjunction with gumpaste in equal amounts? Does adding it change the flavor in any way?

doramoreno62 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 6:02pm
post #4 of 10

Gumpaste is actually fondant with tylose powder added to it. It makes the fondant dry hard. Fondant will not dry hard without the tylose.
I add tylose to gumpaste to make it extra hard. So with the softness of the clay and the gumpaste with tylose, your final product should dry hard.
It really doesn't change the flavor of the clay. To me, it justs tastes a bit sweeter.
You mix together equal amounts of gumpaste with clay.
You can also mix equal amounts of gumpaste with fondant. This is called a 50/50 mix.
Personally if I were making a box with stand up sides, I would use straight gumpaste or fondant with tylose added.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 6:20pm
post #5 of 10

You can also make a box by melting the candy melts and spreading them 1/8" thick onto parchment paper. Let that cool to room temperature, then cut. Then put into the fridge to harden completely.

This will remain hard at room temperature like a candy bar. Candy clay doesn't harden up the same in the fridge after you have added the corn syrup.

PS I found the previous post about gumpaste and clay to be very confusing. I wouldn't try adding any gum powder to candy clay except as an experiment with a month before the deadline...

doramoreno62 Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 10

BakingIrene, could you direct me to that post? I'm curious now. I add tylose to fondant/gumpaste and mix it with clay quite often without any problem whatsoever.

JoyceD Posted 25 Oct 2012 , 10:48pm
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

PS I found the previous post about gumpaste and clay to be very confusing. I wouldn't try adding any gum powder to candy clay except as an experiment with a month before the deadline...

Now I am completely confused. "gum powder" is another name for tylose? So I shouldn't add tylose to candy clay? But, it is added to 50/50? I have made 50/50 in the past, haven't added the tylose, and have had it dry rock hard.

Also, in making the candy clay, would it make sense to back on the corn syrup some to help it dry hard?

Luckily the cake was for family so a slightly concaved lid wasn't that big of a deal. But, for anyone else, I would had needed a solution to get it hard.

So, to tylose or not to tylose with candy clay? That is the question of the day.

doramoreno62 Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 5:38am
post #8 of 10

Hahaha, now that we have thouroughly confused you. let me try to explain.
I'm sure that Gum powder is another name for tylose. I call it tylose!
I have added tylose to fondant and then mixed it with candy clay,
I have also added tylose to gumpaste and mixed it with candy clay.
This is how I do it and I've never had a problem doing either one.
Tylose does not have to be added to 50/50 because the gumpaste already contains it,but if you wanted to, you could add it.
If your clay is too soft, then you should definitely cut back on the corn syrup.
If I'm using Merkens i use1 lb Merckens Coating Chocolate and 1/3 cup light corn syrup.
For Wilton Candy Melts I use 14 oz melts and 1/3 cup light corn syrup.
I hope I have answered your question of the day!

JoyceD Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 2:07pm
post #9 of 10

Okay, that is making some sense. Tylose is already in pre-packaged gumpaste so it doesn't need to be added to 50/50. Right?

doramoreno62 Posted 26 Oct 2012 , 3:49pm
post #10 of 10

Yes JoyceD, that is correct.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%