Best Pans To Bake Cakes In? Opinion Question

Decorating By Chaudy Updated 29 Nov 2013 , 11:34pm by cooksdream

Chaudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chaudy Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 27

Hello, I am new to cake decorating and new to this website/forums. I am learning basic cake decorating but quickly learning the skills. My question for you guys is this: In your opinion, what are some brands, or types of pans you find bake the best cakes for your creations? I know this can be loaded because you can use bundt, square, round, sheet...etc. I have two 9in round pans, one that was from the grocery store and is a dark non-stick and one that I found at good will that is a light no name brand. Both work great as long as I coat the pan with a greased layer covered with flour. I am looking to make multi layer cakes and I find that after I shave off the dome on both of my nine inch pans I have two layers that when split to make four, are pretty thin. I would like to expand my collection, I have one bundt pan as well, but looking to purchase maybe a few 8in pans, or even smaller for tiered cakes, and some square. What should I look for, and are there any brands people exclusively use?

Apologies if this is a repeated question but I ran a quick search on pans in the forums and couldn't find anything that answered this.

Thank you!
Amanda icon_biggrin.gif

26 replies
Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 27

I love, love, love my Magic Line pans. Love 'em!

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 27

Magic Line definely. Since they are a tad expensive, space out your purchases as you need them. Also, do NOT toss them in the dishwasher. They get funky looking if you do. Take good care of them and they will never need replacing. ( Use parchment paper in the bottom of your pans and just use baking spray on the sides.)

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 27

Magic LIne. Yes they are expensive, but they last a lifetime. You will never regret buy the best tools for your art.

Even heating and baking straight sides.

tigachu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tigachu Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 2:27am
post #5 of 27

Magic Line all the way here, too icon_smile.gif

missamylynn06 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missamylynn06 Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 6:21am
post #6 of 27

I have Fat Daddio's 2in deep and 3in deep pans in all different sizes and shapes. I haven't had a problem with them and love how my cakes turn out. I have 1 magic line round that I bought and I think it works just the same as my fat daddio pans.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 7:06am
post #7 of 27

Magic Line, Magic Line & Magic Line icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 9:50pm
post #8 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaudy

I find that after I shave off the dome on both of my nine inch pans I have two layers that when split to make four, are pretty thin.

Regardless of the pans, you NEED to buy the "magic cake strips" and use them every time. They prevent these humps.

The small pack does 2 x 9" rounds. The larger pack of 4 has different lengths that are good for sheet cakes and larger cakes. DO NOT wash these in the washing machine, just re-soak and re-use (they come out of the oven dry enough to store).

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 27

I LOVE my Magic Line!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 11:38pm
post #10 of 27

I have both Magic Line & Fat Daddio. Love both!!

Be sure to purchase the anodized pans. They won't turn icky if you use the dishwasher!

jenibradley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenibradley Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 27

I have never tried Magic line, but they seem to be a big favourite. I use Fat Daddio's and love them, I've never had an issue and they were reasonably priced.

Chaudy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chaudy Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 12:34am
post #12 of 27

Thank you all who responded! I will try out some new pans icon_smile.gif Can't wait

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 12:29am
post #13 of 27

I get whatever has the right dimensions, and looks like it's going to be easy to keep clean.

And I avoid nonstick coatings unless it's a Bundt mold.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 12:37am
post #14 of 27

I use magic line also I love the crisp corners on their square pans. I wanted to add I also have bought some Fat Daddio and liked those too. Whatever you pay good money for lasts the best in baking I think , you get what you pay for and you will have these pans literally forever. I don't regret buying good bakeware at all.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 12:43am
post #15 of 27

I wanted to comment about the baking strips someone mentioned, I used to use those but found if I baked my cakes at 340 a little longer I hardly get a hump and if I get a small one as soon as the cakes come from the oven I take a towel and press them flat. No more need to fit the liners on the outside.

Barb1959 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Barb1959 Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:06am
post #16 of 27

I use the towel method to even out the bump as well. Learned it here on Cake Central and found it very helpful.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 18 Oct 2012 , 3:18am
post #17 of 27

Just for a different opinion, I really like my Master Class cake tins. Although, I haven't used the Magic Line brand of tins so I may be missing out on something fantastic icon_smile.gif

Might have to buy one just to do a comparison.

Viennamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Viennamom Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:32pm
post #18 of 27

I had a great experience with William Sonoma gold touch..I used magic line as well but for my sponge cake, it came out perfectly and even with goldtouch.

Magic line is OK but it was not as good as goldtouch..

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:49pm
post #19 of 27

Magic Line or Fat Daddio. They both work well. Stay away from the Wilton pans. They are thinner and just a tad better than the ones from the dollar store. 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 12:54pm
post #20 of 27

I'm a hobby baker and purchased a lot of stuff before I "knew better".  However, I am happy with my Wilton Performance Plus Round pans, as well as the Wilton sets:  Hexagon, Petal, and Heart.   I purchased 2 sets of each with 50% off coupons from Michaels or Joann's and was able to spend far less. 

All of my square and rectangular pans are Fat Daddios.  They work very well.  (Never, ever, buy any of the Wilton square or rectangular pans.  Most of them have angled sides instead of straight sides.)

I LOVE my Bake Even Strips and my metal flower nails.  Here's a thread with lots of photos if you wish to see how they are used:

"Bake Even Strips and Flower Nail on larger cakes --Photo tutorial"
http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=148262&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:08pm
post #21 of 27

AWilliams Sonoma Goldtouch. No strips or anything needed at all. Flattest cakes ever, no darker sides on the cake, even baking. They're expensive, though.

inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 2:50pm
post #22 of 27

I love my majic lines.  I have round, square and sheet.  I love the corners.  My FD's are good heavy pans, but they are rounded in the corners and I don't like that.  I do line the bottom of my pans regardless just because I like the results better than just coating them with some type of release.  As far as the strips go, I have used them, but found if I took old towels and cut them into strips, I have good results with that too.  I like the way it keeps the sides from getting over done before the middle, not just the doming.  I also use nails in the middle of all but 6".   That combo has proven good for me.

mickey2310 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mickey2310 Posted 9 Apr 2013 , 9:41pm
post #23 of 27

Hi everyone, Just wanted to let you all know that I have found this thread VERY helpful. Thanks for all the good advise and opinions on the different brands.

DeliciousCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousCreations Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:12am
post #24 of 27

AYes this thread is super helpful but I don't get why they say they're expensive unless I'm looking at the wrong ones, I'd say they are priced almost same as Wilton ones if you buy them by the set. Anyone think I might b looking at wrong ones. http://www.globalsugarart.com/magic-line-pans-round-cake-pans-c-1103_1105.html?page=2

Thanks!!

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:24am
post #25 of 27

AJust to clarify, those are not anodized. You won't be able to our them in any dishwasher.

I purchased my fat daddios from ultimate baker. I got the nice 20% discount because I purchased $200 (10% for $100). I also got the ones with the removable bottoms. Makes life very very easy!

Hamaranpuu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hamaranpuu Posted 6 Jul 2013 , 11:15pm
post #26 of 27

Magic Line all the way. I cant wait untill I can aford to get rid of my wilton 10 inch and get Magic Line to replace them.

cooksdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cooksdream Posted 29 Nov 2013 , 11:34pm
post #27 of 27

It depends on the cake you are baking. The first priority is not the brand so much as ensuring you get the right pan for the job. Fat Daddio's and Magic Line are great choices.

Many people are also concerned about whether their pans are anodized. Check out this article for more details on <a href="http://www.cooksdream.com/store/category/fat-daddios.html">cake pan anodization.</a>

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%