Purple Turning Blue

Decorating By WeezyS Updated 15 Oct 2012 , 11:51am by ApplegumPam

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 3:24pm
post #1 of 6

A week ago I made some fondant flowers using Wilton Fondant and Wilton violet paste coloring.

Now when I look at them some of the petals are blue instead of purple. The smaller flowers are all blue. What could have caused this? I really needed them to be violet.
icon_cry.gif

5 replies
mallorymaid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mallorymaid Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 4:16pm
post #2 of 6

It has to do with the light affecting the red colour used to create the purple colour. Items made or decorated with purple coloured fondant/gumpaste etc. should be protected from uv light to minimize the fading. Here is a link to an article about this topic. http://ericaobrien.com/blog/2011/08/on-purple-fondant.html
You could also try airbrushing or painting your flowers purple to try and save them.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 6

Purple will fade eventually...I've had purple gumpaste fade to blue in about three hours.

Mallorymaid is right about airbrushing or dusting. If I have to do purple I either do that or use Crystal Colors to color the gumpaste, since that doesn't fade. Some brands of colors fade faster than others, too.

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 12:21am
post #4 of 6

IT's the wilton brand for sure..it happened to me several times until I got rid of all of my wilton colors(my black turned into a nasty dark, dark green over time, and pink turned into purple) and went with americolor..never again had a problem..the light could be the problem too, ,but I did this in different lighting and STILL had the problem..

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 10:59am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenscreativity

IT's the wilton brand for sure..it happened to me several times until I got rid of all of my wilton colors(my black turned into a nasty dark, dark green over time, and pink turned into purple) and went with americolor..never again had a problem..the light could be the problem too, ,but I did this in different lighting and STILL had the problem..

That's true, it's not always the light. The gumpaste that I had fade out went from purple to blue in the course of an afternoon, and it was sitting in a dark room wrapped up in plastic wrap. Probably wilton colors...

I also had a cake fade from purple to blue in an hour,it was most likely the wilton colors in that icing. The cake was in a closed box in a car, so no light involved.

ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 11:51am
post #6 of 6

Sugarflair GRAPE ..... OR add the bicarb to your paste as in the link above

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%