Cake Boss At Walmart...bad Reviews

Decorating By doramoreno62 Updated 13 Jun 2014 , 11:14pm by audears

Momy2Boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momy2Boys Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 2:22am
post #31 of 53

AI like the cake boss, but when I saw the cake at krogers I thought the way it was done was really ugly. I would be so tempted to try something of his but just the look was a turn off.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 2:47am
post #32 of 53

The voice of reason, as always, scp1127! Your expertise as a businessperson is always welcome and helpful.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 3:33am
post #33 of 53

scp is right, if you get a cake at Walmart what the heck do you expect? If people buy a grocery store cale they're getting what they pay for.

I have a friend who's a self-professed terrible baker, and she made the point that for an experienced decorator a lot of stuff looks like crap, but for someone who has no clue it can look great. She was looking at a picture of a cake that I thought was horrible, and she said that to me it might be bad but if she made something that looked like it she'd be totally psyched. I don't think the colors are so off-putting to most people, but it probably does taste crappy based on the reviews. HOWEVER...people are so used to bad cake, that might not make a bit of difference. Look at the rush on twinkies that's going on right now as people storm the quik-e-mart to stock up on their foul little cake snacks.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 18 Nov 2012 , 9:40pm
post #34 of 53

AI don't understand the whole "Walmart made it and stuck Buddy's name on it" philosophy. I stopped watching the show ages ago, at least a year, but I heard about the whole cake factory warehouse thing. And heard on here about how dark the cakes were that were the test batch from the new ovens at the cake factory (dark = dry) .. I think that the first assumption of everyone would be that the cakes are made in his cake factory.

Jenny44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenny44 Posted 19 Nov 2012 , 4:45am
post #35 of 53

Kroger also sells them!  They are $25 there I about flipped that is way to much.  We went back a few days later and there they were 1/2 because no one was buying them, so we did just to see if they were any good, it was awful I'm sure his stuff in his bakery is much better but this cake was not! JMO :)

niecyburg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niecyburg Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 7:10pm
post #36 of 53

AWell said!!! The cake is actually good and much better than any store bought cakes I have ever tasted. Give the guy a break. I would jump at the opportunity to be in his shoes. Look at where he is. Its obvious that his business is no suffering grade of some little $20 grocery store cakes. Come on.

Original message sent by scp1127

To give Buddy a break, it is a cake he developed for Walmart. Can any of us develop a tasty cake for Walmart?

Buddy has gotten huge and his upper income entire family has gotten richer. He has obviously decided that his factory will churn out cheap cakes for the mainstream to lower income families. I'm sure it was a sound decision from a financial stanpoint, given his huge national popularity. Most cakes are dry, chemically-laden, cheap cakes. This is no different.

I have followed Buddy's career. He is personally a phenomenal baker. But if I had the opportunity to provide a fabulous life for all of my family, I see nothing wrong with branching out to a mainstream group. These are not his thousand dolllar cakes. How many high end cakes do you think Walmart can sell?

This is a business expansion that has nothing to do with his original business. I look at it as a way to bring a cute cake to a market that couldn't otherwise have this type of cake.

Toyota makes Lexus and it makes the Corolla. The lower priced car has no comparison to the luxury Lexus. Businesses of all kinds develop product lines for varying markets. It doesn't bring down the entire line.

Bottom line, if you buy a cake from Walmart, don't have high expectations.

Same with Duff. We all know that Michael's is coupon-driven. The mix is half price and it has to be costed out accordingly.

By the way, the cakes cost $19.99. (Another one of my "get the facts" searches). Other sites have said that it is good, not great. Only that site came up as awful. So for under $20.00, you get a decorated cake any little girl would love and an ok, cheap cake taste. What do you expect?

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:15pm
post #37 of 53

I think the issue is that he is marketing them as his original cakes, he says they are the exact same recipes, using the exact ingredients and methods.

You can't make a claim like that, and then turn out cakes that taste like spongy cardboard.

They are cuter than other grocery store cakes at least.

That said, I've tasted cake from his bakery, and it was very good.

Producing a new product to make extra money...great! Falsely advertising said product... not so great.

VicB213 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VicB213 Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:28pm
post #38 of 53

Just to toss my two cents into the pool... I tried purchasing a cake from Ace of Cakes about five years ago.. I was treated rudely and disrespectfully and I would never purchase anything from that brand unless it was to burn.  I have come to realize over the years just because there is a brand name on it does not make it better or the level that you get from the source... I mean look at PF Changs a great chinese resturant but their frozen foods are medicore at best... so just stick with what you know and do what you know is best for your palette... but that is just my opinion and the quote my DH... opinions are like butts everybody's got one and they usually stink...

Izzy Sweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Izzy Sweet Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:41pm
post #39 of 53

I am probably going to be tarred and feathered for saying this but in my opinion I do not see the hype in Buddy's cakes. Yes he is on TV and he is a long lasting generation bakery but have you looked at the gallery on this forum.There are cakes on here that blow anything I have ever seen him do right out of the water.The difference with the cakes on this forum and buddy's is that the ones here have been made by 1 or maybe 2 people, Buddy has a huge team for one cake. Everyday on here I see more than a handful of cakes that take my breath away or make me smile .

aundrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundrea Posted 25 Feb 2013 , 8:54pm
post #40 of 53

ive seen his cake line at price chopper selling for $25.00 and big cut out of buddy next to the display. ive been hesitant to purchase the cake.  im not much for any store bought cakes.

and now...after reading the reviews im glad i didnt.

deuceofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deuceofcakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 2:58am
post #41 of 53

Buddy formed a company with TLC and  Dawn Foods, a large wholesale bakery supplies and baked goods provider, to make and distribute his new cake line.  Dawn Foods must be making the cakes; they make everything from cakes to muffins to cake mixes and this is just one more product for them.  When I first saw the cakes in the supermarket, I noticed the quality of the decorating was poor; I thought to myself that Buddy is going for the bucks but really harming his reputation by selling these inferior cakes.  Based on the ingredients, the cakes look like they are made from mixes, considering they include preservatives, food starch, emulsifiers, (and lots and lots of color). They can sit around for days before they are purchased, and they are made and decorated prioritizing speed over quality.  It isn't a premium quality product, but if I were Buddy, I might have used a different name to differentiate the cakes they sell in the supermarket from the ones they sell in their bakery.  

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 4:27am
post #42 of 53

If he's saying the Walmart cakes are made using the same techniques and ingredients as his regular cakes, does that mean Buddy uses mixes in the bakery?! 

Annabakescakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 5:56am
post #43 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy Sweet 

I am probably going to be tarred and feathered for saying this but in my opinion I do not see the hype in Buddy's cakes. Yes he is on TV and he is a long lasting generation bakery but have you looked at the gallery on this forum.There are cakes on here that blow anything I have ever seen him do right out of the water.The difference with the cakes on this forum and buddy's is that the ones here have been made by 1 or maybe 2 people, Buddy has a huge team for one cake. Everyday on here I see more than a handful of cakes that take my breath away or make me smile .

I haven't seen anything more true in a LOOONG time! My sentiment, exactly. He uses about a thousand pounds of "Rice Cereal Treats" a week, too. That is NOT cake! He should be the "RCT Boss"

costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 11:37am
post #44 of 53

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 12:09pm
post #45 of 53

I would hope nobody here is naive enough to think he actually in any way produces these cakes himself. From what I've read, it seems like most are just annoyed that he is promoting them like he did.

That said... Ralph Lauren totally bottled my perfume himself! Gosh dang it, you can smell the love he put into it.

costumeczar Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 12:18pm
post #46 of 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrumdiddlycakes 

I would hope nobody here is naive enough to think he actually in any way produces these cakes himself. From what I've read, it seems like most are just annoyed that he is promoting them like he did.

That said... Ralph Lauren totally bottled my perfume himself! Gosh dang it, you can smell the love he put into it.

I know for sure that Justin Bieber bottles his own. He probably scrapes the sweat off of his prepubescent form to make the secret ingredient, too.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 12:38pm
post #47 of 53

Let's face it, they are just another supermarket cake by the sound of it and lots of people like supermarket cakes because they don't cook and they don't know any better.  Personally (here in Australia) I find supermarket cakes dry and not worth the calories but I go to a knitting group and they all think they are just fine.

lihainalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lihainalady Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 3:37pm
post #48 of 53

I read an article on Buddy and the bakery and he DOES use mixes for a lot of his cakes.  Special orders are from scratch.  I have an order for Margarita cupcakes for a wedding this summer and they will be scratch.  It's a very dense cake, but very tasty with the tequila taste.  (Alcohol evaporates during baking).

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 4:37pm
post #49 of 53

As stated earlier, I agree that Buddy has just probably "partnered" with Dawn to "endorse" those cakes.    We cake people understand how it is...but the average joe-cake-civilian assumes that those cakes with his name on it is what his cakes taste like.   I have no problem with celebrity endorsement....I just think it Sam Walton  and his dog should have their picture on that cake box........not Buddy Valastro.  I do not think that was a wise business decision on Buddy's part. 

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 26 Feb 2013 , 5:12pm
post #50 of 53

AUltimately a short term endorsement with Walmart is probably going to pay more than any business he might lose at his bakery because of it. The people who are paying for his $$$ cakes probably don't even know where Walmart is. And it helps his TLC contract negotiations too, because they have a vested interest in keeping him on the air now. He might lose credibility as a baker but his number one interest is his pocketbook.

jypsymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jypsymama Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 3:40pm
post #51 of 53

This has nothing to do with your review, but I love your signature!!!! So fun!!! Have a great day!

Annabakescakes Posted 31 Jul 2013 , 4:56pm
post #52 of 53

AIf he has absolutely nothing to do with the cakes, what is he Lackawanna cake factory for? I probably spelled that wrong.g but it has been at least 18 months since I saw the show. And my phone is too much trouble to search with. Or correct mistakes.

audears Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audears Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 11:14pm
post #53 of 53

In a word...AWFUL!  I got the fondant cake.  The fondant looks and tastes like play-doh.  Seriously!!!

The cake itself was nothing special--one layer of vanilla and one layer of chocolate with fudge filling.  The cake was fairly dry and had no real discernible chocolate flavor.  The fudge filling was good, though!  The thin layer of buttercream between the fondant and the cake was also good.  for 27.99, I wouldn't waste my money.  We all peeled off the fondant and threw it away before eating the cake.  That at least made it somewhat passable.  Their bakery cakes are better by far!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%