Less Sweet Frosting??

Baking By naiyyar Updated 7 Nov 2012 , 7:34pm by lilmissbakesalot

naiyyar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naiyyar Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hi CC,

Iv been asked to bake rainbow cake and cupcakes for a group of children with a special request that the frosting should not be very sweet. Any ideas will be really appreciated. Thanx a ton

9 replies
ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 3:25pm
post #2 of 10

Swiss Meringue Buttercream. I don't like it b/c it tasted too buttery, I am a fan of American buttercream. But for those people who don't like frosting it's great. It is also very good to use for sculpted cakes and tiered cakes, no ridges in your tiers. Below is my recipe adapted from Martha Stewart. I put less butter in than she does. Also, when whipping the butter in, it goes thru a curdling stage, don't panic, just keep on whipping. When it turns smooth again you know it's ready. I add 4-6 oz white or dark chocolate (melted and cooled) to make it taste less buttery.

Here's a blog tutorial about it, her recipe might be a little different than mine.
http://sweetapolita.com/2011/04/swiss-meringue-buttercream-demystified/

Swiss Meringue Buttercream

2 cups egg whites (can add a little from carton)
1 lb. 12 oz granulated sugar
3 cups room temperature butter
2 T. vanilla
4 pinches salt

Start a double boiler to simmer. Whisk sugar and egg whites together in the bowl of a Kitchen Aid mixer, brushing down the sides of the granules of sugar with a brush or scraper. Stir constantly until mixture reaches 140 degrees.
Remove from heat. Place on mixer and beat with whisk attachment for about 10 minutes gradually moving to high speed. CHANGE to paddle attachment and add butter in one chunk at a time, mix until stiff yet smooth. Add salt and vanilla.

Additions:
6 oz chocolate, cinnamon, orange, lemon, etc.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 9:17pm
post #3 of 10

Extra Special Buttercream Icing Recipe
Ingredients

1 cup butter
localoffersIcon Coupons
1 cup vegetable shortening
2 lbs powdered sugar (8 cups)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon meringue powder (optional)
1 teaspoon clear vanilla
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2-1 teaspoon clear butter flavoring
localoffersIcon Coupons
4-6 ounces whipping cream
Wilton’s White White cake color (for very white; no ivory color)
For other flavors, may add cocoa for chocolate frosting and softened cream cheese for cream cheese frosting.

Instructions

Cream butter and shortening until fluffy.

Add sugar, meringue powder, about half of the cream, and continue creaming until well blended.
Add salt, flavorings and enough whipping cream to make the consistency you need.
Beat at medium speed until icing is fluffy.
You may substitute all shortening for the butter, which will give a pure white icing, but the flavor will not be quite as good.
The meringue powder gives the icing a light crust, but it remains soft underneath.
This is a good icing for beginners, practice or informal cakes.
Changes for a wedding cake
add 1/2 tsp. extra meringue powder (for a stronger foundation to decorate on), more flavoring, 1/2 tsp. extra of each
If very white icing is desired, use Wiltons White White Icing Dye, it bleaches out the ivory color.

Read more at http://cakecentral.com/recipe/extra-special-buttercream-icing-recipe#qDT8hMpYXOhcH3gt.99

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 14 Oct 2012 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 10

Eating a cupcake with SWMB as I type this.....good stuff!!!

travmand Posted 15 Oct 2012 , 11:02am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

Eating a cupcake with SWMB as I type this.....good stuff!!!

Oops...SMBC

ymmat77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ymmat77 Posted 16 Oct 2012 , 11:22pm
post #6 of 10

travmand,
Is this your first time with SMBC?

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 17 Oct 2012 , 1:31am
post #7 of 10

If you want a really good, and not a flavour like it's a stick of butter, try FromScratchSF's recipe. She's done a really good tutorial on how to make it. The thing to remember with any SMBC is that it needs a lot of flavouring.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/03/08/tutorial-swiss-meringue-buttercream/

travmand Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 11:53am
post #8 of 10

Nope...I make it all the time.  I recently made it with brown sugar instead of white...even yummier!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 6:47pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand 

Nope...I make it all the time.  I recently made it with brown sugar instead of white...even yummier!

I am about to make a recipe and plan to use brown sugar...   How much sugar did you use in the recipe?  What flavoring, and how much did you add?  (making a standard recipe with 10 egg whites)   Thanks~!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 7 Nov 2012 , 7:34pm
post #10 of 10

Just make sure you use unsalted butter when making any meringue based buttercream.  IMBC, SMBC, make it with a cold meringue... but salted butter makes it taste like honey butter you'd put on a scone or something.  Use unsalted butter and plenty of vanilla and it tastes like vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.  You are using a fraction of the sugar you would in a powdered sugar based icing and it is silky smooth with no trace of grit what-so-ever.

The meringue based icings aren't considered shelf stable though and would require refrigeration per the state laws (not sure if this is a business transaction of just for a friend so it's worth mentioning just incase).  They also don't crust in anyway, so if you are used to a crusting BC there is a learning curve there, though with cupcakes you would have no issues at all since it pipes beautifully.  I love working with it though.  Once you get the hang of it it is simply marvelous. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%