How Easy To Cut Cupcake Shape From Styrofoam Block??

Baking By Kiddiekakes Updated 15 Sep 2012 , 8:07pm by Kiddiekakes

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 3:42pm
post #1 of 6

I am in need one 1 cupcake dummy but all the places that sell them are eitherin quantities of 6 or 24 and the shipping is really expensive to me here in Canada and it won't get here in time.I was thinking of just carving my own from a block of styrofoam...

How easy is that to do??

Laurel icon_wink.gif

5 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:00pm
post #2 of 6

It's a mess. It's easier to cut one from a styrofoam ball, yet still a mess. You can keep carving until it fits nicely into a cupcake tin then you'll know it's the correct shape.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 6

Seems like it would be easier in 2 pieces: the cap from a ball with one straight cut not across the equator. Then carve the bottom from a block, and glue them together.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 6

Actually, it's easiest to just bake real cupcakes to use as your display. Make sure it doesn't get eaten when it's very old. If you have time to let the cupcake dry out until it's hard as a rock, nobody would attempt to eat it. It will continue to weep oil for a long time, so be sure you don't place it on your favorite tablecloth or anything you don't want stained, or perhaps you could bake the "hockey pucks" without the oil.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 7:23pm
post #5 of 6

What a total PITA to make a cupcake dummy!

I just bake cupcakes (don't use any flavorings or salt), let them dry for about a week, and decorate and display.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 6

Well a real cupcake isn't an option because they are travelling with it and it has to be suspended on the head of a baby..Don't ask... so I thought I would just skewer it to the head and hot glue it as the head is a styrofoam ball as well..I found a thin 1 inch sheet of styrofoam at Michaels I hot glued small squares togther and then took a course sanding block to it and shaped a cupcake..It worked out great except I was covered in styrofoam pieces...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%