Help To 're-Use' Disaster Pb Frosting?

Baking By wernie Updated 7 Sep 2012 , 6:32am by KoryAK

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 11:00pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone - so I've made peanut butter frosting many times and never had a problem. Well, last night I had the bright idea of trying this different natural peanut butter and it did not turn out as planned haha. It's just PB, icing sugar, butter, vanilla, and a little milk, but I think the PB was a bit too runny (and maybe oily) so it's this kind of thick, viscous, gloopy 'icing'. It doesn't taste bad, but it's just not really great for putting on a cupcake.

So - I'd rather not throw out the whole bowl of it and was trying to think how I could use it in another recipe. The only thing I've come up with thus far is trying to swirl it into a batch of brownies. Anyone else have any ideas?? I'm open to any kind of recipe - doesn't just have to be cakes/cupcakes icon_smile.gif

3 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 11:58pm
post #2 of 4

Most peanut butter has a significant amount of sugar present--all natural PB will not. (sorry I have this bad habit of reading labels...)

So add more powdered sugar to this gloppy batch, until you get the right consistency. Chill the icing a bit and re-mix it to get it to pipe easily.

wernie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wernie Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 12:30am
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Most peanut butter has a significant amount of sugar present--all natural PB will not. (sorry I have this bad habit of reading labels...)

So add more powdered sugar to this gloppy batch, until you get the right consistency. Chill the icing a bit and re-mix it to get it to pipe easily.

Hmm... I totally get what you're saying - makes sense. I've used natural PB in the US though and it was fine how I usually make it (in Australia now). I did add quite a bit of powdered sugar and then it kind of goes from the gloppy batch to just like 'dough-like' with adding more sugar. Then, if I add a bit of liquid to balance it out, it goes back to gloppy haha. So that's why I was thinking perhaps to just repurpose it into another recipe...

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 7 Sep 2012 , 6:32am
post #4 of 4

You can use it as a cake filling maybe? By itself or folded into whipped cream (or whipped cream + pudding powder).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%