Royal Icing Frustration!!!

Baking By katefarquharson Updated 20 Nov 2013 , 11:04pm by maryna

katefarquharson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefarquharson Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 1:29pm
post #1 of 6

So I've made royal icing a fair few times before, but more last year and my memory is bad.

I am now staying in south africa, so at the baking supply store i got some meringue powder called actiwhite. I used the following recipe:

2 lbs {1bag} confectioners sugar
1/3 c. plus one tablespoon meringue powder
about 3/4c. water

I did this and instead of taking 6 or 7 minutes to form stiff peaks it took 30 seconds! It was super light and creamy just like meringue and not royal icing... So I carried on beating it and nothing changed, I decided to add little bits of water as i was getting angry and thought it might work. I didnt. I piped out a few lines and it didn't set. After 10 minutes the lines would crumble and be almost dusty when i pressed them.

So I did some research on actiwhite and the only information i could find was that
1tsp actiwhite + 2tsp water = 1 egg white

So I thought i would take a recipe using egg whites and sub in the actiwhite. this didnt work either. It kind of did the same thing.

I have wasted so much icing sugar now. And i desperately need to make a batch of good royal icing to decorate some cookies!!!!!!!

I phoned the baking shop to ask if actiwhite was the same as other meringue powders and the lady said yes, so i asked if she knew a recipe and she was quite rude and very unhelpful and told me no and said goodbye.

please help meeeeeeeeee ! icon_cry.gif

5 replies
maggie1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1965 Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 6

Hi i think actiwhite is the same as meriwhite here in uk, for royal icing i use 1 teaspoon of meriwhite to 1 table spoon of water, then just keep adding icing/confectioers sugar till i get the right consistancy. Hope this helps xx icon_smile.gif

katefarquharson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katefarquharson Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 7:30pm
post #3 of 6

Hi maggie,

What is your method? do you whip the meriwhite with the water first? then add the sugar? or do you mix the meriwhite with the sugar until combined and then beat in the water?

do you have a rough idea of how much icing sugar you usually use?

x

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 6

http://www.homestyle-cookie-recipes.com/royal-icing-recipe.html
Royal Icing Recipe using Actiwhite
3 rounded teaspoons Actiwhite
70 ml / 2 fl oz cold water water
4 cups / 500 g / 1 lb sifted confectioners / icing sugar
1.You will need a small glass container with a lid. Place Actiwhite and cold water into the glass container, replace lid and shake until it is well mixed together. Let it stand for 20 minutes.
2.Place the sifted confectioners sugar into a large bowl of an electric mixer and add the Actiwhite mixture. Beat until the icing becomes firm and fluffy. This may take a few minutes.
3.As you will need to let the icing stand to allow time for the air bubbles to dissipate, store the icing immediately in an airtight container.
4.When you need to use the icing, simply place a small amount in a bowl and beat by hand. Royal icing can be stored in the fridge indefinitely.

maggie1965 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maggie1965 Posted 6 Sep 2012 , 9:15am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefarquharson

Hi maggie,

What is your method? do you whip the meriwhite with the water first? then add the sugar? or do you mix the meriwhite with the sugar until combined and then beat in the water?

do you have a rough idea of how much icing sugar you usually use?

x

Hi yes i whip my meriwhite and water first, then add the sugar xx

maryna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryna Posted 20 Nov 2013 , 11:04pm
post #6 of 6

Saw your post and I see that nobody responded since 2012.  I do hope you found the answer.  I also recently bought Actiwhite and it is definitely not meringue powder!!  However, I had success in making SMBC even though my measurements were way off.

Below is information I got from the following URL: http://www.weighnpay.com.au/actiwhite.html

Actiwhite

This product is made from fresh egg whites. It can be used in place of egg whites in a recipe, just soak 10g Actiwhite in 80ml water for 15-20 mins then use as normal. This is the equivalent of 3 egg whites. It is excellent for making Royal Icing as well as meringues.

MERINGUES: Soak 10g Actiwhite in 100ml water for 15 – 20 mins. Whisk on high speed for 3 minutes, then add 160g Caster Sugar in a steady stream. Whisk well then add another 80g caster sugar and whisk until evenly dispersed. Bake meringues in 100C oven until dry.

ROYAL ICING Soak 20g Actiwhite in 100ml water for 20 mins. Add 600g Icing sugar and ½ tsp lemon juice. Using electric hand mixer beat for 2 -3 minutes on medium speed to the consistency required. Leave to rest for 1 hr to remove air bubbles before use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%