Fondants?

Decorating By Crowsbutterfly Updated 5 Sep 2012 , 1:10am by BlakesCakes

Crowsbutterfly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crowsbutterfly Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:04am
post #1 of 6

Hey guys! I have a cake order coming up in a couple weeks for a small two tier(topsy turvy) cake. The customer wants the cake to be zebra print. I want to do this with fondant, but u have never used any type of fondant before. I am leaning towards rolled buttercream for the taste and simplicity of the ingredients as this cake job is on a budget! I've tasted fondant only once before(I think it was rolled fondant) and thought it was disgusting!) so I'm not crazy about the idea of using it. Ive been doing a lot of research and for my purposes I'm not sure rolled buttercream would be the best thing. Could anyone with more experience give me some pointers? As far as difficulty of use that's not such a problem I'm not easily defeated, but because the fondant will be patterned I don't think it could be easily repaired if it tore(besides being greasy, this is the biggest issue Ive read about with rolled buttercream). I was thinking I would roll it out between two sheets of parchment paper, then stick it in the fridge to chill for a bit, would that resolve the tearing issue?

Thanks in advance!

5 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:22am
post #2 of 6

Hi, i have worked with rolled b/c in the past. I just covered a one tier cake. it was little hard to not tear, and repair, etc. I do not think rolling it between two sheets of plastic will help at all. Look up Michelle Fosters Fondant on this site . It is very good. Some c/cers make Rhonda's marshmellow fondand and love it. I do read more about Michelle Fosters fondant. Have made and used it .Liked it. You can p/m her also if you have any questions. I did and she was really nice. hth

Crowsbutterfly Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

Thank you! I will do that thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 2:30am
post #4 of 6

Don't know where you are or what fondant you've tasted, but I highly recommend Duff's fondant (Fondarific) that can be bought with coupons from Michaels. It tastes great (it's candy melt based) and for flat applications, it's easy to work with. If it gets too soft, it will set up quickly in the fridge.

The simplest thing to do would be to make a BC cake and add black fondant zebra stripes. If you don't have access to Duff's Fondant or Fondarific, any of the black pre-made fondants will be fine.

I really dislike rolled buttercream. It's so sweet that it hurts your teeth, it tends to be grainy because it has so much powdered sugar in it, and yes, it's often greasy. I've used it to cover spheres because it can be repaired with the heat of your hand, but I roll it very thin for that and I put a less sweet buttercream under it.

JMHO
Rae

Crowsbutterfly Posted 4 Sep 2012 , 3:33am
post #5 of 6

That is a wonderful money saving idea, I hadn't even thought of using fondant just for the stripes, thank you!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 5 Sep 2012 , 1:10am
post #6 of 6

Anytime icon_wink.gif

Hope it works out well for you.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%