Help - Complete Cake Disaster - Cake Falling Apart!

Decorating By judywoody Updated 31 Aug 2012 , 10:05pm by ndgoirishgal

judywoody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
judywoody Posted 30 Aug 2012 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 2

Sorry, the subject didn't have enough space...

I dared to make a vegan wedding cake and it's ok but the middle tier is falling apart..
they all sunk a bit in the middle so even if I turn the cake around to use the bottom as the top, there is still some room on the edge of the bottom, how am I supposed to fill that? I will cover the cake with sugarpaste...

Now the middle tier is completely falling apart but I have already returned the tins..they were petal shaped tins (6 Petals) and all I have are round, square and heart shapes tins in the cupboard.
I was thinking about re-baking the cake and carving it but don't want to make it worse. When I wanted to put buttercream on the cake to prepare it for the fondant, the outer layers literally came off and I know, the cake will be completely uneven...I really don't know what to do, there is no time for me to borrow the tins from the shop again. I feel like crying icon_cry.gif

1 reply
ndgoirishgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ndgoirishgal Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 2

Hi,

I am so sorry you are going through this. I have tiered a vegan cake with no trouble a few times, so I am wondering if it's the recipe? Too late now, but have you put cake boards and doweled the tier beneath each one for support? My Vegan cake was heavy due to the density of it. Plus the longer it sits the heavier it will get.

The other thing I didn't tier it until I got to the wedding reception hall.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%