Website Advice Please?

Business By charlielunness Updated 29 Aug 2012 , 9:15am by preeti22

charlielunness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlielunness Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:11pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone, am hoping for a little advice! I'm just starting up and would like to get a website together. I own my domain name, but now need a host and actual website of some description. Before I commit, i thought I'd ask you guys as some of you have some beautiful websites.
Anyone willing to share any resonably priced ways to do this, or how you did yours?
Thank you x icon_smile.gif

4 replies
TartletteTreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TartletteTreats Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 3:16pm
post #2 of 5

My website is not currently up, but I have learned a couple of things.

I used Homestead, which used to be great, but updates to their site-builder have made it slower and slower over the years.

I switched to Hostmonster, which uses Weebly as its site builder, and supports accessible programs like Joomla and Wordpress.

SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SanDiegoBeautifulCakes Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 5:18pm
post #3 of 5

I use a really great company for all of our hosting. I have a few dozen domains that I have pointed toward them. The company is [url]www.FlareHosting.com[/url] I have been using them for something like 15 or so years now, before then, they were named something else that I can now no longer remember.

They support so many different technologies and databases. They have a super fast pipe and are always up due to redundant servers, networks and pipes. The price is fabulous also. Plus the more domains they host for you, the lower the price becomes. The simple site with an Access database is $9.99 per month. They also have SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle, and a few others.

I highly recommend them. Great group of people, and you talk with an American human anytime that call. You point the domain to their DNS yourself, or they can do it for you. They also have Secure SSL certs that you can use for your own site.

I am glad they are there. I love the service and I have never had a moments trouble with anything.

I have my cake site down right at the moment, as I am changing the domain name.

Thanks
Beth & Andrew

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Aug 2012 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 5

I recommend mocking up how you want your website to look on paper first, then contacting a professional web designer to get feedback and implement it, along with SEO and an online advertising strategy. Make sure the designer understands how to create a site focused on usability and not just one that looks good.

I did the site for my business myself, but I have 18 years of web design experience. You can expect to spend at least a few hundred dollars for a professionally designed static web site (not including e-commerce capabilities).

preeti22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preeti22 Posted 29 Aug 2012 , 9:15am
post #5 of 5

First contact some web designing company as peoples first see the design when the sites loads and if it looks good then people check what they want so design a good theme related according to your domain and then hire an SEO which will rank your site for some keywords which you want.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%