Canadian Decorators-Has Anyone Heard Of Kwik Fondant/

Decorating By SugarBakers05 Updated 19 Mar 2013 , 1:33pm by ihena81

SugarBakers05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakers05 Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:37am
post #1 of 8

I normally buy Virgin Ice fondant at Bulk Barn, up to a week or so ago.I go today and see they replaced it with some brand called Kwik Fondant. Has anyone ever heard or tried this brand. I am used to Virgin Ice, because it colors perfectly. I am afraid to use this one and i have a big project for this weekend. Any word out there??

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 8:15pm
post #2 of 8

While they had both brands in the store, I checked the labels. Both have exactly the same ingredients. FYI it's made somewhere in ON.

However, you should talk to your Bulk Barn store manager and ask them to continue stocking Virgin Ice. Or ask them to sell to you by the case.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 12:34am
post #3 of 8

I order mine wholesale through Dawn Foods.It is their brand of Fondant called white deccorice...Smells and tastes like Cotton Candy...Nver heard of Kwik but usually there is different brands in Eastern Canada than Western

Chelcod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelcod Posted 31 Aug 2012 , 4:21pm
post #4 of 8

I am new at this whole decorating thing, but my friend, who has been doing it for years and I did a comparison between her mmf and this Kwik Fondant. We found it very pliable, easy to use, very easy to cover a cake (my first time turned out perfectly), the texture isn't too sticky, if you leave it sit uncovered for a bit and it feels a bit dry, I put a teeny bit of shortening in my palms, work it in briefly and it returns to original consistency. Most importantly, it tastes great. My kids have approved it, so that says alot to me. icon_smile.gif I am hoping they sell it in larger quantities.

jenibradley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenibradley Posted 1 Sep 2012 , 4:53am
post #5 of 8

I was devestated when I went into Bulk barn last week and noticed they were getting rid of Virgin Ice...that is pretty much all I've used, except for homemade fondant. But I didn't have time to make my own so I bought a tub of Kwik fondant. When I got it home, I compared it with some Virgin Ice that I had left and I actually found I liked Kwik better. It had a better taste and it seemed softer to work with. I just covered a cake in it tonight and it worked well, but I found there were little hard bits throughout that didn't disolve with kneading.
Oh, and I also asked a girl at Bulk Barn about Virgin Ice and she said they weren't getting rid of it, but just carrying the two brands. But it definitely seemed to me like they were getting rid of it...I went to 3 stores in my area and neither had any white fondant left icon_sad.gif Maybe I will have to switch to this Satin Ice that everyone raves about!

2ndGenerationCakeDesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2ndGenerationCakeDesign Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 2:55am
post #6 of 8

I was upset when I saw the switch too. I liked virgin ice and liked the convenience of having it at a local store. The Kwik sucks. I don't like how it works and there are little hard bits in it. If anyone knows of a brand of fondant that is similar to virgin ice I would love to know as in Ottawa we don't have a very good selection of cake decorating supplies. They do still carry virgin ice in the colors but no more white.

Chelcod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chelcod Posted 28 Oct 2012 , 6:59pm
post #7 of 8

My local Bulk Barn said Kwik fondant is addressing the issues of their product having hard 'bits' (which I have experienced as well), and they are also going to start double bagging their fondant because it has been very hard. But the price has gone up $2 a bucket. Might try other kinds and see.

ihena81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ihena81 Posted 19 Mar 2013 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 8

I used colored Kwik fondant and must say I was very pleased. It's very easy to work with. I have never done fondant cakes until now. I took a George Brown course where we covered a dummy cake with ready made fondant provided by the school and it was fussy to work with. Kwik fondant does not need icing sugar or shortening at all. Take it out and start working it directly on a clean counter (mine was quartz). The warmth from your hands makes the fondant pliable and easy to work with. I had no issues rolling it out and covering the cakel. I had only one small crack on but that was probably my own fault. I'm very happy though and I love the convenience of precolored fondant. $17.99 for 4 lbs is a decent price in Toronto. I will be buying more of this fondant going forward.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%