Living Social Vs Groupon

Business By Annabakescakes Updated 25 Aug 2012 , 7:34am by traci_doodle

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:40am
post #1 of 9

I'm looking into these, and I have read many threads about groupon, but going to document mine here, so others can get a better sense of what's up with them, and a small commercial kitchen. It's going to be looong!

So, I sent out an email to Living social, with my contact info, and I got a call back 23 minutes later! I like that! Anyway, that guy "screened" me a bit before forwarding my call to a guy in my area. I told him I have a fairly lucrative business doing cupcakes thumbsdown.gifthumbsdown.gif And small cakes thumbsdown.gif And a few 2 & 3 tiers, but my wedding business has really slacked off, and I'm not interested in pushing cupcakes, I want weddings exclusively. He tells me, the way it works is, i have to do at least 50% off, and they get 50% of that, leaving you with 25% off your products price!!!! He is gung ho to do a deal on cupcakes.. Blah! But when I reiterate my position, he says that he has never done cake before, just cupcakes and he is hesitant to push wedding anything, since they have a market of 60,000 in my area, and figure half of them are women, and maybe 2% are brides. I said every woman is a potential future bride, even if she is in her 60's and even if she got married last week.

He wants to push my smallest cake. $38.50. So, $9.62, for a cake costing me $5 before I get to labor! So, I suggest a "deluxe bridal tasting package" to-go, and he says, he is hesitant to market towards brides! So, I Tell him it won't work out, I'm not an endentured servant, I don't work for nothing, so I won't do it if I can't figure out a way to make money, if only a little, and promote wedding cakes. And he tells me that it isn't really set up for a business to profit icon_surprised.gif (just their business!) I told him, if there is a way to make money, I'll find it. He texts me his # and we hang up.

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:54am
post #2 of 9

Ha! Annabakescakes. You and costumeczar are up for an award this year.

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:00am
post #3 of 9

I'm sorry, I don't get it?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:15am
post #4 of 9

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it. Sorry. I thought you were razzing the coupon business. You were quite funny. I loved your line "I said every woman is a potential future bride, even if she is in her 60's and even if she got married last week." Anyway, costumeczar does a blog about Fun with email scammers http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/p/fun-with-email-scammers.html

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:55am
post #5 of 9

both work identically, they make money the businesses suffer greatly! The people who buy these are people who have no intention of returning to your establishment, that is unless they can get it for half price again. DON'T DO IT!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 4:19am
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annabakescakes

And he tells me that it isn't really set up for a business to profit icon_surprised.gif (just their business!)

Of course they aren't set up for the business to profit, these companies are selling advertising. You wouldn't expect to make a profit on the transaction when you buy a newspaper ad or get a table at a bridal show, the draw is that you will get people in your store.

Unfortunately Groupon and the like will get the wrong type of people in your store if you are focusing on premium products, so even if you get a great deal on cost vs. exposure you are better off paying more per head advertising somewhere else for customers in your target market.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:00am
post #7 of 9

I've been asked to participate. With cupcakes, last year for Fathers Day, of all occasions! Yeah, that's gonna help me get premium wedding clients. *snort*

Annabakescakes Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:23am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Maybe I'm the one who doesn't get it. Sorry. I thought you were razzing the coupon business. You were quite funny. I loved your line "I said every woman is a potential future bride, even if she is in her 60's and even if she got married last week." Anyway, costumeczar does a blog about Fun with email scammers http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/p/fun-with-email-scammers.html

Ha! Thank you icon_redface.gif I have a propensity toward sarcasm, and irony with a pronounced B.S. detector and a tendency to say exactly what I'm thinking icon_lol.gif I just can't seem to help it, I know it's "not done" though I don't know why the hell not! If everyone would just be genuine, the world would be easier to live on.

So, yes, I was trying to get the state his purpose, and I am attempting to delve deeply and having fun while while I do so icon_smile.gif

BTW, I called groupon 4 times, and was on hold each time, then sent to a voicemail at the 2:40 mark, each time. So I filled out the online form, and was told that they would try to get back with me within 2 weeks icon_eek.gif score 1:0 Living social.

And I'm going to text him today icon_twisted.gif I have an idea icon_twisted.gificon_lol.gif

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 25 Aug 2012 , 7:34am
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the link to costumeczar's razzing of scammers! I'm totally snorting over here. Hilarious. Although I should be in bed...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%