Fb Moan Groan Moan

Lounge By Bluehue Updated 2 Dec 2012 , 9:12pm by -K8memphis

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 24

Why is it that FaceBook just come along and change the layout of ones settings - arghhhhhhhhhh.
I can't stand the new Timeline format - but apparently i must have it.

Its junky - messy and one had to read from one side of the page to the other....
Its just not orderly - and not suitable to me.

*moan* .........*groan*........*moan*

Thats all - just moaning about FB.

Bluehue

23 replies
Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 1:55pm
post #2 of 24

Yup, same complaints from me icon_sad.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 24

I agree. But they are not willing to give us our money back icon_smile.gif

I always recommend to new business owners that they need to set up a website (even a blog can suffice as a website). Anyone who relies on Facebook is at their mercy.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 24

Oh, you took the thoughts right out of my head! I can't say you took the words out of my mouth, for mine were not printable! icon_cry.gificon_redface.gif I absolutely hate the new format. When they were promo-ing it some time ago I never went there because I wasn't interested---no matter how much they touted its advantages.
Of course, I couldn't just be left alone. I hate it when decisions are made for me by someone else. So now I join you, and I bet many others, in moaning and groaning.

P.S., I also wish "they" had left the boxed cake mixes formulations and sizes alone. I hate the words "New and Improved!" They generally don't signify anything I'd be happy about.

Jan

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 24

I thought it was annoying too when it was first introduced, but I switched to timeline a while ago and eventually you get used to it.

I like the two-column format, dividing small articles into multiple columns is actually more readable than having each article stretch horizontally across the entire page (especially with larger monitors).

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 24

I got the dreaded "Timeline" notification last night. My date with the devil is set for 8/28.

I hate going to pages that already are Timelined. I dislike trying to find in information on them that I KNOW is there, etc.
I'm a very visual person, so on non-Timelined pages, I recognize picture landmarks of where I need to scroll to, etc. With Timeline, that doesn't work well.

It's a free service, and people have been complaining about it for awhile. I'm sure it's to FBs advantage in some way. icon_confused.gif

I'm sure that FB knows exactly how often I visit the site.....so, they'll notice the severe drop-off after 8/28.

Now I just have to get my son to e-mail me pics of my grandson the old-fashioned way--LOL.

Rae

katharine8283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharine8283 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 10:56am
post #7 of 24

Love timeline, been using it by choice since it became available thumbs_up.gif

Bluehue Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:33am
post #8 of 24

BlakesCakes - my *trial period*....cough... was until the 17th August.... well thats been and gone and i am now a TL user.
Perhaps the word *trial* doesn't mean - see if you like it - if not we shall reverse for you.... icon_confused.gif

Jan - like wise....i thought it polite to *ask* ....would you like a trial and see what you think?

Jennifer - thumbs_up.gif ...i hear you

MimiFix - Good grief - if i was paying FOR THAT i would be having alot more to say than what i am on here.
I sent a complaint to them - and the response was
....thankyou for your comment - your views are important to us - we shall endeavour to deal with your comment within 3 - 4 working days.....

For me i don't rely on FB for my Business - just keeping in touch with far away friends...

Amazing - it takes them 2 minnies to change it for me - but 3 - 4 days to hear me...lollllllllllllllllllllll
They thanked me for my *comment* - bet thats not what they call it after they read it -lolllllllllllllllllllllllll

I really don't understand the point of having a picture on the left then the same picture on the right...albeit twice the size.... waste of space - and just BLOODY ANNOYING. thumbs_up.gif

Reminds me of the old saying...
If it ain't broke - don't fix it.... and my FB wasn't broke...icon_razz.gif

Bluehue

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:52am
post #9 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehue

If it ain't broke - don't fix it

I resemble that remark icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:59am
post #10 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix

Quote:

If it ain't broke - don't fix it

I resemble that remark icon_smile.gif

Lolll - wish i did resemble that- but age has started to make me a tad broke.. from the neck up - LOLLLL

Bluehue

Jennifer353 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer353 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 12:24pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharine8283

Could you sell us the advantages please? icon_smile.gif
Anything positive we can cling to to not hate it so much would be good icon_lol.gif
I do like the big picture space at the top of the page, but that's about it!

I hear Jason's point although not really something I had a problem with before and not sure it outweighs the negatives - not being able to see comments easily under a post, the double photo thing Blue mentioned, the double everything that is there and missing stuff that should be, etc etc!!

Bluehue Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 1:24pm
post #12 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer353

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharine8283

Could you sell us the advantages please? icon_smile.gif

Yes please.......do telll/sell the advantages
Bluehue

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 3:26pm
post #13 of 24
Quote:

I really don't understand the point of having a picture on the left then the same picture on the right...albeit twice the size..

If you're talking about the profile picture vs. the cover picture, they are supposed to be two different pictures, the cover picture is often a panoramic shot or a picture with friends/family. If you don't want a cover picture you don't have to include one.

I'm not seeing double anything on the timeline view, each column has different posts, and the comments are visible directly below each post.

Also, the timeline view is only active if you are viewing someone's page, the main news feed is still a single column of posts.

katharine8283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharine8283 Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 10:49pm
post #14 of 24

I feel like i am entering the lions den here, bahaha!! icon_cry.gif

Ok the rational behind why I like timeline is;

I can have my profile picture as the image I always use when identifying my cakes, however I can update my banner to reflect what is current for my page. At the moment my banner depicts fathers day as in Australia it is fathers day soon. When I update my banner, all my "likers" see the update and then interact with it. So i use it as a form of communication to tell people what is coming up.

The layout enables me to highlight or promote certain posts that I feel are important or deserve more attention. When I highlight these posts they take up the full width of the screen, rather than half, so my page visitors get an eye full.

Yes, until you get used to viewing your posts from left to right it can be a bit of an issue, however at the same time, if your posts contain a lot of images like mine do, the fact that your posts are side by side actually helps pull the viewers eyes downwards to keep scrolling through your page.

Also the timeline on the right hand side of the screen enables someone to click on a specific month and they are taken directly to post from that month, rather than aimlessly scrolling through looking for a certain period.

And finally timeline separates the page owners posts from posts by others, which helps if others have a tendency of posting photo's that are not your work onto your page, or if you quickly want to read just other people posts so you can respond in a timely manner and not have to search your page for posts.

Oh and one more thing, which i use constantly, at the bottom of each post it tells you how many people saw your post, great info to have so you can monitor how many are seeing your photo's and comments.

Maybe some of these features where available on the "old school" layout icon_wink.gif , i'm not sure. I don't pretend to be an expert in any capacity, I like it so I use it by choice.

Please no nasty responses, each to there own icon_biggrin.gif

Bluehue Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 1:21am
post #15 of 24

Thank you - happy to read your *positives* as to the TimeLine layout.

For me - i just find the whole layout *in your face* so to speak - and very messy.

Yes, the banner photo across the top is all very wonderful - i have used that to show a Cake Photo.

No, no nasty words - i just wanted to read the good points people find with having it.

Thanks again.... but i am still not converted ...lollllll

Bluehue

bunnykins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bunnykins Posted 23 Aug 2012 , 10:21pm
post #16 of 24

Yuk I feel your pain, this was forced on me last week and I hate it! I think though that's more cos it was forced on me without my consent that it irks me more. I'm sure I'll get used to it, that is until the next not asked for change!

Bluehue Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 11:41am
post #17 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnykins

Yuk I feel your pain, this was forced on me last week and I hate it! I think though that's more cos it was forced on me without my consent that it irks me more.
Yes, that 25% of the problem..... but i just don't like the layout fullstop. I'm sure I'll get used to it, that is until the next not asked for change!
i hear you thumbs_up.gif - It still looks junky to me icon_rolleyes.gif

Bluehue

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:46pm
post #18 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

I thought it was annoying too when it was first introduced, but I switched to timeline a while ago and eventually you get used to it.

I like the two-column format, dividing small articles into multiple columns is actually more readable than having each article stretch horizontally across the entire page (especially with larger monitors).

+100 thumbs_up.gif

bunnykins Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 1:59pm
post #19 of 24

I agree the layout is terrible, it feels like a backwards step, I hate myself that I still cant stop using it even out of protest, but damn it I am just not strong enough!!!!

Bluehue Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:09pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:

I agree the layout is terrible, it feels like a backwards step, I hate myself that I still cant stop using it even out of protest, but damn it I am just not strong enough!!!!

ROFL - step away - step away - s t e p a w a y

Bluehue

bunnykins Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 2:20pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:

Quote:

Bluehue

I cant, its like a sickness.....please help me!!!!! lol do you think there is a FB rehab?

Bluehue Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 3:08pm
post #22 of 24
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Bluehue

I cant, its like a sickness.....please help me!!!!!

lol do you think there is a FB rehab?

Yes, its called Cake Central - lolllllllll

Bluehue

Cathrine123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathrine123 Posted 8 Nov 2012 , 1:39pm
post #23 of 24

I dislike it too I get all confused with looking from one side of the page to the other and I feel that some things are missing *shrugs*  Why do they feel the need to mess with it!!

Cat x

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Dec 2012 , 9:12pm
post #24 of 24

Hi Blue--

so nice to 'see' you on here today.

I'm not glad that FB distressed you but I am glad you were complaining about it

so that I would see your post and stop & say

Hello Sweet Friend!!

I haven't been on this website for eons, several eons in fact.

But I was trying to see what that Christmas tree pan looked like they were asking about in recent posts and

I had to log in to do so...and thought I'd check out the lounge for a second just 'cause I was here.

Oh my what a contraption is that Christmas tree pan! Huge holes in it omg!

I think the bowling ball factory wants it's holes back.

Anyhow--Hope you have a tremendously lovely Christmas and Chanukah and New Year et al.

And to all my Cake Buddies who might see this.

Oh Voo Wah

(ovoire)

Love & Prayers,

Kate

(signing back out now)

Muah

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%