Walking Cake - Ideas Please

Decorating By Angelr Updated 20 Aug 2012 , 3:19pm by cakecraving

Angelr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angelr Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 11:09am
post #1 of 3

Hi I'm a first time user but was recommended this site as a great place to log questions and get great ideas and help.
So here is my query, I need to make a cake that resembles a favourite hobby involving walking over the English Countryside and need to make two 3-D items - a compass and a signpost.

Any idea how I make the signpost stand up would be great and also any ideas on making the compass authentic would be great too.

Thanks in anticipation.

Angelique.

2 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 2:57pm
post #2 of 3

Welcome! You'll find lots of lovely helpful people here icon_smile.gif

For your signpost- do you remember those hard white 'candy' sticks you used to pretend were cigarets? they work great for helping hold a shape if its small- just cover in a little brown sugarpaste to get your shape and leave it aside overnight to dry a little.

I'd keep the compass simple it will look good made out of sugarpaste: a grey rectangle, a black circle on top and a little red arrow and paint some black measurements on with gel food colour (sugarflair is good in the UK but asda have started stocking some too!)

if you're more into 3d items you could try using sugar flower paste (the UK version of gum paste) but its a bit trickier and very expensive for a one off cake

Hope that helps! icon_smile.gif

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 20 Aug 2012 , 3:19pm
post #3 of 3

I've also seen pretzel sticks as trees and street signs.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%