The Best Yellow Cake,chocolate Cake,

Baking By PrincessaTaira Updated 10 Aug 2012 , 8:08am by rosech

PrincessaTaira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PrincessaTaira Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 3:27am
post #1 of 2

Haven't been on the forum in a while but I've been developing a killer scratch recipe for cake. This is perfect for decorators as it holds and can be used quickly as you can divide it and make it into several flavors rather sucessfully.We've all searched for that perfect yellow cake. I have even on this forum. But, this summer, I knew that I needed a reliable,sturdy, tasty, moist, buttery whatever cake and I found it. After that, I decided to experiment with it to make a chocolate cake, and it came out great, then I experimented with it a bit more and it turned into a batter that can be used for several AMAZING different cakes. I know you all will love it to.
The Universal Battter

adapted from smitten kitchens best birthday cake

2 9 inch layers or 3 8 inch layers, 1 9*13 cake, 24 cupcakes

4 1/4 cups of all purpose flour

1 tablespoon of baking powder

2 teaspoons of baking soda

a pinch of salt

1 cup of butter ( yes 1 cup!)

2 cups of sugar (this is not diet cake)

4 eggs

2 cups buttermilk ( or 2 cups of milk with two tablespoons of vineager or lemon juice)

2 teaspoons of vanilla

A shake of cinnamon and nutmeg ( the gourmet bakery secret, no more than a shake of each and this cake will taste better than any other cake youve ever had)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Grease three 9 inch layer pans with butter,margarine or shortening and flour or cooking spray and the place a parchment paper circle, then grease the parchment circle as well.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a bowl. In a seperate bowl ( or in your mixer bowl) cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Scrape the sides and add your eggs( I add mine all at once, because one at a time always seems to create a crispy top. but, do whatever works for you) then mix at medium speed till creamy ( depending on how cold your eggs and butter were a, your batter may be curdled at this point). Now slowly add in a third of your flour. Mix for about 10 seconds. Then add in half your buttermilk. Mix for about 10 seconds.Add in the second third of flour. Mix for 10 seconds and add in your milk. Mix, add the rest of your flour. Now, add your vanilla and spice. And mix for another 20 seconds or so till it all comes together. And there you have it, your universal batter! I have not developed a frosting recipe but I use a simple butter and powdered sugar icing on this cake. To make this into a yellow butter cake, just go ahead and divide the batter into well greased 9 inch cake pans and bake for about 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Now for the variations!

All the variations are done after the batter is prepared and just mixed in with a rubber spatula

For red velvet add one tablespoon of cocoa powder to half the batter and two teaspoons of red food coloring. or two tablespoons of cocoa powder and one tablespoon of red food coloring to all the batter. It will taste like a realy good red velvet cake, since it already has buttermilk.Divide into pans and bake until toothpick comes out clean.

For Chocolate Cake, add a 1/2 cup of cocoa powder and 1/4 cup of fresh coffee ( I just add two teaspoons of instant coffee to cold water, and voila, no boiling necessary) to half the batter or 3/4 cup of cocoa powder and 1/2 cup of fresh coffee to the all of the batter. The coffee makes the chocolate flavor come out and makes it really moist. Divide and bake until toothpick comes out clean about 40 minutes. Check on it!!

For Banana Cake

Add in two really,really, really,really, really, really overripe good-sized bananas and an extra shake of cinnamon and nutmeg to half the batter. I mean really overripe. This ensures that the banana cake comes out really really really good and full of banana flavor. The easy way to ripen bananas is to put them in a ziploc bag and throw them in the freezer for a couple of hours and they become black and really gooey. Add four bananas to all the batter. Divide intpans and bake at 350 until brown and inserted toothpick comes out clean.

Hope you guys like the recipe, it's a keeper, they all taste great are sturdy and moist and everything you would want in a cake!

Let me know if you try it or have any questions!

-Princess

theprincesscooks.wordpress.com
check out my blog! for other fun recipes!

1 reply
rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 10 Aug 2012 , 8:08am
post #2 of 2

Thanx for sharing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%