Can I Do This?

Decorating By traci_doodle Updated 14 Aug 2012 , 8:09pm by woozy

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 7:21pm
post #31 of 39

i can understand where you're coming from about the wedding cakes...yes, they can be stressfull.

for a three tiered cake you can always make it easier on yourself by assembling the bottom two tiers and taking the top tier separate!

lovinspoonfull Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovinspoonfull Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 7:34pm
post #32 of 39

I did one row at a time. Not sure if I could pull off one continuous line! It really took no time at all.

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 10:21pm
post #33 of 39

Okay. Good to know! I don't think I'll be doing her wedding cake, but now I really want to try that technique! I'll just have to find another reason to make a cake. icon_smile.gif

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 4 Aug 2012 , 10:54pm
post #34 of 39

Oh, you can *always* find a reason to make a cake! icon_biggrin.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 12:59am
post #35 of 39

Just looking at the two cakes, I'd argue that the first one is gumpaste based on the top row on the tiers, but I could be wrong.

I know the question has been resolved, but here's a video I did of the stripes in buttercream, it's just done with a spatula.

I'm going to go look at the photo of the first cake again icon_rolleyes.gif

costumeczar Posted 5 Aug 2012 , 1:01am
post #36 of 39

Nah, you're right, it's buttercream, the edges are too rough and ripped. Plus, the top edge of the bottom tier is the width of a piped row.

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 2:30am
post #37 of 39

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/search?q=ruffle+cake

These ruffles are individual, made from various fondant/gum paste, fondant/modeling chocolate combos. Ruffles range fron teeny to very deep, and from refined to messy. Some are tissue thin and purposely shabby looking.

I made my ruffles a week ahead and used my Kitchenaid pasta attachment. I used 2/3 Pettinice and 1/3 modeling chocolate. It was time consuming but easy.

I'm having trouble telling the BC from the fondant ruffles just with a picture.

costumeczar Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 10:46am
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by woozy

http://acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/search?q=ruffle+cake

These ruffles are individual, made from various fondant/gum paste, fondant/modeling chocolate combos. Ruffles range fron teeny to very deep, and from refined to messy. Some are tissue thin and purposely shabby looking.

That's my blog, thanks for the mention icon_wink.gif

I'm doing another one of these this weekend. I did a three tiered one a few weeks ago and it took about two hours to put the individual ruffles on,just to give you an idea. Piping would be a lot faster but you don't get the ruffles as thin.

woozy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
woozy Posted 14 Aug 2012 , 8:09pm
post #39 of 39

Costumeczar, your ruffle cakes are awesome! You are my ruffle cake guru!

In person, there is a big difference in the buttercream ruffles and the fondant blend ruffles.

I envy you guys who found it easy to get the buttercream ruffles in straight lines. I felt like I needed an elecric slow-revolving turntable. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%