Perfect..until Transportation That Is

Decorating By babytyro Updated 30 Jul 2012 , 7:08pm by cakeyouverymuch

babytyro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babytyro Posted 28 Jul 2012 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 7

Latley I have been having trouble with fondant cakes during transport.... They are covered perfectly and look beautiful initially. Since our fridge is very humid I have to leave them out at room temp until they are either picked up or delivered they all look great sitting there for however long. Everything goes perfectly untill delivery time! As the cake is in the van being delivered the slightest bump and wobble causes my cakes to begin to crack!

The last two fondant cakes I made required emergency surgery upon arrival. today the wedding cake was 3 seperate cakes with pillars so there was no weight issue (since i was waiting to stack) and they still cracked during delivery! The largest cake was on 3 gold cardboard circles glued together for extra support and the other two were on a card board circle and a plastic wilton circle also i placed a wooden board under them during trans for extra support.
I have been searching the web for tips but didnt find much help....

Im guessing since it was so hot and had been sitting out for 6 hrs that the icing underneath began to shift and melt which caused the already dry fondant to crack? Also my boss who was driving took a VERY sharp turn quickly and the box slid when i looked back at the cakes i cracks forrming at the bottom! The cake started to bulge and droop i think the buttercream was falling from the top to the side of the cake underneath the fondant. I was a wreck untill we arrived! I softly pushed back the bulge as best i could. Luckily all the cracks were only on the bottom so i piped an extra scroll/vine with the same little dot flowers and then added a few extra roses and baby breath on the bottom to hide 3 cracks that were on the side. All while the inn staff were observing (ugh!) just as i finished the bride arrived ahhhh (she was there 2 hours early)!!!!!!!!!!!! She kept gushing and saying for beautiful it was and insisted on putting the topper on with her groom for the camera guy. phew!

Anways I need help!!! Any advice on preventing cracking fondant?! i use satin ice.... and our buttercream doesnt really crust to stiff.....

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 2:52am
post #2 of 7

You need to start refrigerating them...Put them in boxes in the fridge and see if that helps. When you take them out of the fridge don't touch them until the humidity condensation wears off and it will be fine. Transporting a warm cake is a bad idea, especially in hot weather. Once the icing and fillings start to shift you're pretty much done.

soozicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soozicake Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 10:31am
post #3 of 7

I use Satin Ice and a crusting crumb coat. The last cake I did was stacked and dowelled night before & I ran air cond to control house temp (and car air cond cranked up to freezing). I made the mistake of transporting on my own and it slipped and slid around and ended up at a 45 degree angle twice. Murphy's Law..had a car pull out in front of me and had to do an emergency stop...only when transporting cake! Amazingly there was only minor damage and a smidge of bulging at the filling levels.
My nerves suffered the most damage....new permanent rule - 2 people in car and cake goes on lap to ride the bumps and braking. Have done this with 3 tier stacked cake and all was good.

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 29 Jul 2012 , 3:43pm
post #4 of 7

Why on earth are your cakes slip sliding around in the back of your delivery vehicles?

This:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002AS9NAI/?tag=cakecentral-20

A piece of this under your boxed cake, or directly under your cake board if your transporting without a box, and your cake isn't going to be sliding around.

QueenOfSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QueenOfSweets Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 7

I use Satin Ice, sugarshack's buttercream, never refrigerate my cakes and have transported 3 and 4 tiered cakes up to 3 hours away over bumpy county roads with no cracking whatsoever. The key for me is my SPS system. I place the cake into a box with no-skid shelf liner under the cake board so the cake doesn't slide inside the box. I then place the no-skid shelf liner under the cake box in the back of my SUV. I make sure that my vehicle has been completely cooled down before loading the cake. I've hit pretty large bumps and had someone pull out in front of me, and the fondant has never cracked.

The only time I have ever had fondant crack was when I covered the tiers in fondant, transported them separately to the venue and stacked on site. They cracked because the fondant had dried at the bottom edge, and when I picked the tier up from the large cardboard circle it was sitting on the edges cracked. I now always stack my cakes while the fondant is still pliable and I've eliminated all cracking.

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 6:22pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

Why on earth are your cakes slip sliding around in the back of your delivery vehicles?

This:

A piece of this under your boxed cake, or directly under your cake board if your transporting without a box, and your cake isn't going to be sliding around.

I buy so much of this stuff it's crazy! LOL thumbs_up.gif

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jul 2012 , 7:08pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctoothlady

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch

This:

I buy so much of this stuff it's crazy! LOL thumbs_up.gif

Me too. Good thing my dollar store carries it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%