Not So Pink Princess Cake

Decorating By SPODN Updated 6 Aug 2012 , 9:38pm by carmijok

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 1:08am
post #1 of 6

Putting the finishing touches on a Pink castle for my princess cake. But I find my pink castle is no longer pink. I used Wilton's Mauve Pink and after a day it is no longer pink. Has anyone ever had this happen. Color looks like its a muddy beige. I'm hoping I can use some pink dust to resolve my problem.

5 replies
Momofjaic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momofjaic Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 1:20am
post #2 of 6

Yes it's happened colors get darker after awhile I have learned to mix colors at least the day before. I don't know how to fix without mixing some more and putting a thin layer on and it probably won't work in this situation. Sorry

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 2:59am
post #3 of 6

Pinks, purples, and some blues are notorious for fading. It's just from exposure to light--both natural and/or fluorescent.

I use Chef Master No Fade purple and pink and find that it works very well.

Some people suggest kneading in a bit of baking soda to help stave off fading, but I've never tried it.

Rae

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 20 Jul 2012 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Pinks, purples, and some blues are notorious for fading. It's just from exposure to light--both natural and/or fluorescent.

I use Chef Master No Fade purple and pink and find that it works very well.

Some people suggest kneading in a bit of baking soda to help stave off fading, but I've never tried it.

Rae

Thanks Blake, I'm going to get some of that no fade pink and purple right away. I hope I can make this look better with some petal dust.

ibeeflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibeeflower Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 6

My favorite color is pink so when I make cakes for my mom and sister who also like pink I use Americolor. The color is consistent and I have never noticed any discoloration or had the color change. I use Americolor all the time now and don't use Wilton anymore.

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 6 Aug 2012 , 9:38pm
post #6 of 6

I really have not ever had fading problems using Americolor pinks OR purples. But I just have regular lighting. If you are around fluorescent lights, then cover your stuff or it will fade no matter what you put in. If your items still fade, then get some lemon extract (I like it better than vodka because it dries faster) and mix some in with your gel color and wash a thin layer over your pieces. I've had to do that with gum paste before because it DOES dry lighter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%