Serving A Regular, Round Layer Cake - How To Keep It Pretty?

Decorating By jenna4 Updated 15 Jul 2012 , 11:31pm by jgifford

jenna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna4 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 7

I've done a ton of searches on Google and YouTube and can't find this answer anywhere - I hope someone can help!

I am just getting started in cake design and am pretty proud of some of my 8" and 9" layer cakes. They look great on the cake platter, but then when I cut into them, the frosting gets all messed up and smears onto the slice, sometimes the cake comes apart at the bottom, or the slice just overall looks kind of wonky.

Now, I'm not expecting my cakes to look like the cover of Martha Stewart Magazine, but really, how do they get their slices to look so perfect? Does anyone have any tips on how to at least come close? Is there some sort of tool or technique?

TIA for any advice!

6 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 7:40pm
post #2 of 7

Hi, go to this site and you will get your answer. She shows how to cut a cake ,etc.

http://cakecentral.com/user/indydebi

jenna4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenna4 Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 2:25am
post #3 of 7

Thanks but it shows how to cut a round wedding cake into multiple pieces. I'm talking about a regular home-made round cake cutting into slices. Can anyone help?

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 2:34am
post #4 of 7

OK... doesn,t look like anyone else could help. So, i will try again, YOu do the same for wedding cakes. you keep your knife clean, Cut down tip first, the back next, all the way out to the end. I wipe the knife after each cut. Do no lift knife until you get to the end of the cut. Been doing it for 18 yrs. since cake decorating cakes. hth

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-cut-a-round-cake.html

Formynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Formynana Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:04pm
post #5 of 7

I have found using a knife with a smooth blade helps.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 7

^ this. Don't use a serrated knife; use a smooth blade.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 15 Jul 2012 , 11:31pm
post #7 of 7

It also helps if the cake is cold. And don't worry about the ones in magazines. Those are done just for photo shoots so of course they're going to look perfect.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%