Do You Buy Fondant Locally Or Online?

Decorating By letsgetcaking Updated 14 Jul 2012 , 10:32pm by letsgetcaking

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:36am
post #1 of 9

I haven't ever purchased fondant (I've always made my own). The only fondant I've seen in stores is the Wilton brand, which I've heard many don't like. Would you mind sharing what kind of fondant you buy and whether you buy it locally or online? Is the shipping cost very high?

Thanks!

8 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 2:59am
post #2 of 9

I usually purchase fondant online.....I found a 20lb bucket of satin ice white vanilla with shipping it cost me $64 which is cheaper than I can buy it locally

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:20am
post #3 of 9

I prefer massa grischuna neutral. It tastes great and is very easy to work with. It is only available through Albert Ulster Imports in New York. It arrives very quickly though. Within 2 to 3 days, and I am in California.

YummyCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YummyCreations Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 3:20am
post #4 of 9

I buy mine online as well. I buy Satin Ice from Global Sugar Art. I get it in about a week. The only "local" store that carries it is a 30 min drive both ways. So if I add the cost of gasoline, the hassle of driving and that they charge $5 more that what I pay, including shipping it's a no brainier for me icon_cool.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 4:59am
post #5 of 9

I buy Satin Ice at either Decopac.com or through my local wholesaler. The local guy is a few cents cheaper and I like to support small business but sometimes he runs out and Decopac has flat shipping rates.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 7:39am
post #6 of 9

Our local branch of Cake decorators orders in bulk from a local supplier. We actually get it cheaper than the local bakeries do because of our bulk buying power.

letsgetcaking Posted 13 Jul 2012 , 12:14pm
post #7 of 9

Thank you so much for your responses, everyone! This is very helpful info!

Ariana

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 3:00am
post #8 of 9

I buy Duff's at Michael's and Fondarific online. They are the same.

letsgetcaking Posted 14 Jul 2012 , 10:32pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you, scp1127!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%