Best Way To Get Dots?

Decorating By trishalynn0708 Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 6:45pm by debidehm

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 2

I have a 3 tier wedding cake that i'm doing this weekend... She wants teal dots on her cake, can anyone tell me the best way to keep the dots lined up as well as what TIP to use???

The dots will be teal and the ribbon or fondant I use will be teal as well that goes around the bottom of each tier...

Also, is it best to use real ribbon or fondant to go around the bottom of each tier??? I haven't done either but I have read that ribbon sometime's will bleed, I don't want that to happen with the grease from my buttercream..
LL

1 reply
debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 6:45pm
post #2 of 2

I use a circle tip (the type used to write on cakes). The size you use would depend on what size dots you want. I use a medium size tip (sorry, but not sure of the number it is). When I do a cake that has dots like the one you show, I start in the front. I pipe on 3 dots vertically, then go next to it on either side and do 2 dots. I eyeball to make them straight. I keep going until both sides meet in the back. If my dots have small peaks (and they usually do), I dip my finger tip into sugar, then touch the dots to knock down those peaks (you'll have to re-dip your finger after each touch). As far as ribbon goes and the fear of the oil showing through it, I would stay away from the satin type ribbon.

If the satin type is what you want to go with, some coat the whole ribbon in oil before attaching it. Some line it with wax paper. I prefer to use the thicker ribbon that is more matted (in my gallery you can see the type of ribbon I'm talking about in the Black and White wedding cake. Just isn't a close up of it, not sure how to explain the ribbon better), while attaching it only on the back. (I used the same ribbon on my Queen Bee cake. You might be able to see the ribbon better in that picture).

I would only use a fondant ribbon if that's what the customer wanted. The "real" ribbon is quicker (IMO) and easier to use. I have done a cake like the one you posted, and I delivered it unstacked. When I got to the venue, I stacked and added the ribbon. Had it been a fondant ribbon, I think it would have been more of a pain to do...for me anyway!

I hope this was somewhat of a help for you icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%