Air Bubbles Under Fondant - Help!!!

Decorating By Setty Updated 9 Jul 2012 , 10:45am by ApplegumPam

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:10am
post #1 of 5

I'm seeking some advice on how avoid air bubbles occuring under my fondant after covering my cakes. I am assuming it is happening as the cakes are returning to room temperature after being covered and gases are being released but I'm not sure what to do about it as I prefer to have the cakes nicely chilled to keep the ganache firm and provide and better surface for the fondant.
I've also noticed that both the fondant and the ganache lift away together and I usually have to cut out a piece and try to smooth it back down before covering it in decorations to hid the mark. Not good!
I know a lot of people chill their cakes prior to covering with fondant so how do you prevent the air bubbles?? It's driving me mental! icon_cry.gif All that hard work to get your cake lovely and smooth and it only gets ruined!
I try to make sure the cake is left somewhere cool and dry as it comes back to room temperature but it's still happening. There is no poimt putting the cake back int he fridge because eventually it's going to be brought out and I also don't want to risk ruining the fondant.
How does everyone else cope with this??

Thanks in advance!!!

4 replies
ApplegumPam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplegumPam Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:31am
post #2 of 5

I will answer as a fellow Australian - it is winter here at present so if your ganache is NOT firm at room temperature now then I am assuming that your ratio could be well off unless you are in the far north tropics.

I know a lot of Americans advocate chilling of cakes but from my experience and fellow cakey pals - it more often than not leads to sweating issues here.

Your ganache should be really firm to the touch - ie you should not be able to press your finger into it - at room temperature (by that I am saying average of 21-23degrees C) if your home/environment is warmer than that then you will need to consider air-con (an absolute essential) if you want to decorate with ganache in the Australian summer)

Air bubbles WILL form and your fondant will become sweaty and sticky, often making it difficult to even run your smoother over.

I don't suppose your are using the Bakels 'ganache' from the bucket (or decanted by a cake decorating supply store) because if you are I;d say this is 100% of the problem.

Try leaving your ganached cake (at a ratio of 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream) to firm and set up at room temp - in the warmer months this can take up to 12 hours,

Once firm - you only have to give a light brush with either sugar syrup or water - make sure it is a LIGHT but even cover over the ganache (do this BEFORE you foll out your fondant) and make sure you run your smoother all over the cake to make sure there is contact everywhere - of you miss a patch this is where your air bubble will form

Oh and the cake decoraters BEST FRIEND for air bubbles these days is an accupuncture needle - they are fantastic and don't leave ANY marks at all - they will make your normal needles look like crowbars!

Hope this helps icon_smile.gif

ApplegumPam Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 7:33am
post #3 of 5

PS - often you think your cake IS at room temperature - but the internal temperature may still be quite cold - which will still lead to your sweating problems

Setty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Setty Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 9:57am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the advice. I definitely make my own ganache so that's not the problem and use the 2 :1 ratio for dark chocolate and 3:1 for white chocolate.
I've always been a little unsure about refrigerating my cakes prior to covering them so may try the ganaching 1 day ahead and leaving it to set then the syrup or water technique just prior to the fondant.
Fingers crossed I'll find my solution.
Now I'm off to locate some accupuncture needles!

ApplegumPam Posted 9 Jul 2012 , 10:45am
post #5 of 5

You'll need to find some cake buddies to share - they come in boxes of 100

Where abouts are you located?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%