Cake Pans Vs Bundt Cake Pans !?!?!

Baking By BatterBob Updated 1 Jul 2012 , 3:50am by BatterBob

BatterBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterBob Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 4:20am
post #1 of 4

Hello Everyone,

My name is BatterBob and I just found this website while browsing the net.
I am very excited about all I've read and seen so in here far that I had to create an account... icon_smile.gif
I just started baking cakes from scratch, as I got really tired of finding recipes calling for the boxed stuff...
I have nothing against that but I need a little more "challenge" if you know what I mean. icon_cool.gif
So far I only have 1 bundt pan and 2 glass pyrex pans, I am very new at all this
BUT at the same time I am really willing to learn everything I can.
For instance, can somebody tell me the difference between a cake pan and a bundt pan besides the tube, what are they exactly used for ???
I've heard that there is a big difference in textures after baking a cake.
Can I bake the same cake batter in different types of pans ???
Should I use All Purpose Flour or Cake Flour ???

I know these questions may sound super basic for all of you, but I would really appreciate some direction in order to have a good start.

Thanks to everyone and I hope to hear from you all !!!! thumbs_up.gif

Keep on Bakin' !!!

3 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 4

Welcome to CC, BatterBob.

Bundt pans are decorative, while cake pans are flat and mostly used for baking cake layers. For using different sized pans, I found this link on google. http://allrecipes.com/howto/cake-pan-size-conversions/

There's a lot to learn so join in the fun! In addition to reading forum questions/answers, I suggest you also read some basic baking books and visit a few websites such as allrecipes.com

Also, CC has many thousands of members, some of whom bake from scratch and some folks use mixes. We are an equal opportunity forum. (I've seen fights get started over stating opinions.)

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 30 Jun 2012 , 6:45pm
post #3 of 4

Welcome BB. Be prepared to become obsessed with this site. I have been here several years and am still learning new things. For instance, I have never seen this pan chart. What useful information. Word of advice if you ever want to expand your pans go right to the better pans like the Majic Line or LLoyd's pans. You can buy full sets of the ML at reasonable prices at Amazon and can often get free shipping.

BatterBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BatterBob Posted 1 Jul 2012 , 3:50am
post #4 of 4

MimiFix,
Thanks for the warm welcome and for all the links and information, that's a nice start and I understand what you say about "fights over stating opinions", I will be careful icon_biggrin.gif
I had the chance to browse some of the info that you recommended me and I can already see a wealth of information.
I have "cake homework" already for tomorrow.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Dynee,
Thanks also for the warm welcome and for the info on pans, amazon sounds like a great place to start, as I buy most of my things there. thumbs_up.gif
I will start looking for Majic Line and LLoyd's pans varieties and start there.
This is exciting !!!
THANK YOU VERY MUCH !!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%