When To Place Cupcake Toppers On Cupcakes?

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 28 Jun 2012 , 1:38pm by shannycakers

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 2:41pm
post #1 of 8

Hello, i need to make shoe and corsette cupcake toppers and I have heard horror stories of them melting by the time they get delivered. If I make them out of 50/50 can i put them on the night before and still have them keep there shape?

I will deliver the day before the party and dont want them to bent and droop. Any medium better to use than 50/50 fondant gumpaste or which one does not melt into buttercream? She wants buttercream icing..

7 replies
Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 2:54pm
post #2 of 8

Hmm that is interesting. I never had toppers melt into BC and it is 92 degrees F here. I always use 100% gumpaste for toppers. Does your fondant mixture have any butter in it? I have seen recipes with butter in fondant for a great taste. My fondant and gum paste are made with shortening and no butter. Nothing in it to melt at a high temperature.

shannycakers Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:45pm
post #3 of 8

o ok, so if I use straight gumpaste it will work ok then. Thank you! I need a dark fushia color, so i wanted to mix hot pink satin ice iwth some purple and possibly add tylose to it, hoping that it will be stable enough. I can never get my white gumpaste colored correctly.. Do you think they will hold with fondant and tylose? in the buttercream?

shannycakers Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 3:46pm
post #4 of 8

i forgot to mention that I need them hard so they can sit up flat on cupcakesicon_smile.gif

Pearl645 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl645 Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 4:11pm
post #5 of 8

I have used my homemade fondant and Satin Ice fondant and added tylose to it to get it firm. It works just well. I sprinkle and eye ball how much tylose. There are threads on CC where people can tell you the exact amount of tylose per lb of fondant.

shannycakers Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 4:50pm
post #6 of 8

thank you! yes i use it for my fondant cakes its 1 tsp per pound, but never tried it on buttercream cupcakes for a long period. One girl on here post said she had figures on top of her cupcakes and by the time they got to venue they had all warped down... Maybe using tylose will fix my fears, she probly used all fondanticon_smile.gif

KLCCrafts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KLCCrafts Posted 26 Jun 2012 , 5:00pm
post #7 of 8

Also make sure you don't put them in an airtight container. My all fondant toppers wilted on buttercream when I foolishly transported them in a rubbermaid type bin with the lid on tight. Bad idea. icon_sad.gif The humidity in the air is also a factor to keep in mind. I've done all fondant toppers on BC without an issue too, but didn't have them airtight and it was not a humid day.

shannycakers Posted 28 Jun 2012 , 1:38pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you KLC crafts! Thats what i was afraid oficon_smile.gif I will do as you suggest

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%