Getting Out Of This Now?

Decorating By fcakes Updated 19 Jun 2012 , 2:30pm by fcakes

fcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fcakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 9

I agreed to do a sculpted cake, due today, but it didn't turn out the way I wanted to. The customer showed a pic of a styrofoam carved cake but wanted it half in actual cake and half in styrofoam.

I am not liking how it turned out icon_sad.gif What can I do to not give it to the customer like that? Cant do another one because this one took a lot of time....any help? Thanks

8 replies
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:29pm
post #2 of 9

How badly did it turn out? We are our own worst critics. I would call the customer, be honest and offer free cupcakes in a similar theme. This is a tough dilemma!

fcakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 9

Well... the reference pic looks neater, because it is a dummy carved and covered with fondant... I should have just refused a sculpted cake icon_sad.gif I had offered cupcakes as an alternative but they insisted on this... not sure if I can offer the cupcake option again....

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 4:15pm
post #4 of 9

I hope you told the customer prior to your doing it that this you could not guarantee that it would look exactly like the picture. Most people think if you've decorated a cake, you can do any type of style and technique out there. Because they saw it in a magazine, it can be done, right?

If you are not happy with it, I'd just forgo any payment and give him the cake with the explanation that it's not up to YOUR expectations. But before you do that listen to what your customer says FIRST. Don't start out apologizing. If he is not happy he will let you know. Just because you aren't happy with it, doesn't mean they won't be.

You might post a picture here and see what the reaction is from other cc'ers before he comes to get it.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 4:19pm
post #5 of 9

How about free cupcakes with this cake also or at a later date? If you do offer free cupcakes or cake for a later date, be sure to put a time limit and amoumt now on them, otherwise they might want a 3 tier cake for free.
You could also refund part of the money if it was a paid cake.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 5:01pm
post #6 of 9

Is this a case of you being over-critical of your own work or did you make a cakewreck?

Maybe post a pic so we can give you some guidance on how to fix it or what you should do.

fcakes Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 9

I'm trying to post pics on here but the site crashes on me each time icon_sad.gif Hubby came home and was awed by the cake... said he's sure they'll be happy...

They are using gift cards for my business that someone gave them so refund not possible. I'll wait to see their reaction then go ahead with free cupcakes or something if they are not happy... thanks for your help everyone!!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 6:53am
post #8 of 9

The refund would be in cash. You got paid for the gift card and did not deliver. They won't want another cake. So be ready with cash. This is ONLY if they are unhappy with the cake. If the gift card was for a charitable event, someone gave cash in good faith, so again, cash is in order.

Deep down, you know the answer to this. If it's not as ordered, a refund is the only choice. Maybe this will be a tough lesson, but be careful to only accept orders that you can execute. Even if this turns out well, it's not worth putting yourself in this situation.

Good luck and I hope all goes well and she is happy.

fcakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 2:30pm
post #9 of 9

So... she was sooo happy to see the cake! Loved it! But agree with scp... I don't think it's worth the trouble going forward! Thanks for the input everyone!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%