What Do You Call This Type Of Design?

Decorating By itsmyparty68 Updated 20 Jun 2012 , 3:35am by Chellescakes

itsmyparty68 Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 4:32pm
post #1 of 11

The design looks like it is lying flat on the cake but it's still 3-D looking. Does anyone know what this design type is called and if there are any tutorials available on how to do it? http://cakecentral.com/user/galiahristovagugi/ This link has a beautiful Winx character done this way. Thanks

10 replies
CWR41 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:46am
post #2 of 11

The stone texture could be imprinted with a mat or by hand. You could PM the CC member to ask.

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 2:05pm
post #3 of 11

It's a stone impression mat. I have one that I got from Michael's (I think it's the Duff brand). It comes with two different sized cobbles.

tiffanyp23 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 11

I believe the OP is referring to this cake.
Not the user's profile pic.

itsmyparty68 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 11

I'm referring to the Winx doll that is on the users profile. http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2349301/winx

AnnieCahill Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 11:28pm
post #6 of 11

Oh! Type of design...hmm I don't know. I mean to me it just looks like a fairy made out of fondant.

jamiekwebb Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 11:52pm
post #7 of 11

maybe a template design.... you basically just build the picture out of fondant that still has some height to it. You don't make it flat.....

Apti Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 11:57pm
post #8 of 11

Tutorials? Nope. That is the work of an extraordinarily gifted cake artist. It takes a LONG time and different fondant tools like an extruder to make something that detailed.

However, there is a book that talks about how to do this type of 2-D design:


This is an excellent book by Sheila Lampkin that shows you how to create exactly this type of fondant 2-D figure.

Chellescakes Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 11:09am
post #9 of 11

it is called bas relief , you start with a picture and build it up as you go, you basically start with the bottom layer as what is furtherest away in the picture and build up to the closest being the last elements that you put on.

When I have done them I often copy the picture several times to get templates for the different elements and keep building until I have a complete picture.

It helps if you lay a complete image under some freezer paper and tape it down so you can build up the image as you go. Then you can peel off the freezer paper and put the image on your cake.

Oh I usually put a little tylose in my fondant , but not too much just too make it easier to handle.

Apti Posted 19 Jun 2012 , 4:10pm
post #10 of 11

Originally Posted by Chellescakes

it is called bas relief.

Thanks for putting a name to the technique!

Chellescakes Posted 20 Jun 2012 , 3:35am
post #11 of 11

No Worries Apti, It is actually a pretty easy technique, Childrens colouring books and pictures online are a really good place to find images for this technique.

I should also mention that you pad out the basic shape with some fondant first before you start adding the layers.

It was rather late at night when I typed it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%