How Do You Attach Fondant Ribbon Perfectly Around The Cake?

Decorating By jesika3434 Updated 14 Jun 2012 , 6:30am by jesika3434

jesika3434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesika3434 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 5:46am
post #1 of 5

I recently tried to put a fondant ribbon around the middle of the cake (circumference) but had trouble making it look straight. When I put it on it was higher on one side and did not look straight. I tried to take a ruler to push the fondant down to make it straight. You can see the cake in my album, its the purple/pink hello kitty cake. What is the best way to wrap it around the cake to make it look straight and not tear and stretch as Im doing it? Thanks icon_smile.gif

4 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 6:19am
post #2 of 5

You could use the fondant ribbon applicator by Cake Wheel:

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 5

Your cake is really pretty!

Wilton now has a cake marker that makes it fairly easy. I bought one as soon as they came out icon_smile.gif.

When I did a cake with a ribbon in the center of the tier, it wasn't out yet, though. I measured up from he bottom of my tier and marked every inch or so with my veining tool where I wanted the ribbon and placed it accordingly. Also, to prevent stretching, after the ribbon is cut, dust it with cornstarch/ps and roll it up. Then unroll it as you bring it around the cake.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1942657/in-love-with-lavender

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 13 Jun 2012 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 5

I would do as Elcee. Roll fondant out on powder sugar or cornstarch(litely). Use pearl dust if you need it. Roll up fondant. Put on a small square of fun foam, to support the roll and and roll it around the cake. If it is for the middle, Yes, i would measure first. I wouldn,t trust myself to just go with it. But , fun foam is all you need. I saw Nicholas Lodge doing this. He uses fun foam to help him put a lot of decos on his cakes. hth

jesika3434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesika3434 Posted 14 Jun 2012 , 6:30am
post #5 of 5

thank you everybody! i did mark the middle of the cake but i was afraid to roll the fondant because i didnt want it to stick, i dont know why i didnt think of adding ps/cornstarch to roll the fondant. thank you for the clever idea of using fun foam as a guide!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%