German Chocolate

Baking By ewardell Updated 8 Jun 2012 , 7:14pm by dynee

ewardell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ewardell Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 8

I just had a customer ask for a German chocolate cake (if I could) with buttercream frosting. What is the difference in taste from a milk chocolate cake? To me, if you aren't doing the German Chocolate cake frosting, then it's really just a chocolate cake. I normally do a WASC but with a chocolate cake mix for my chocolate cakes. Do you think she will notice if I do that rather than a true German chocolate?

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 7 Jun 2012 , 10:15pm
post #2 of 8

Call her and ask her if she wants the special filling between the layers. German choc cake also has 3-4 layers if I'm not mistaken.

Bake whatever chocolate cake you do best. Fill with whatever the customer wants.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 5:52am
post #3 of 8

German chocolate is the type of chocolate used in the cake itself. It is milder and sweeter that semi sweet.

schmulie14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
schmulie14 Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 12:22pm
post #4 of 8

My dad wanted German chocolate for his wedding so I did one tier with the German's chocolate recipe (right from the box of chocolate) with the coconut pecan icing as the filling and iced it with chocolate ganache under the fondant. It was soooo delicious!

pinkfluffycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkfluffycupcake Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 8

Agree with spc1127. The recipe for Original Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Cake is unique because of the particular type of chocolate used. I know someone who will only eat this type of chocolate cake; if it's devil's food, chocolate fudge, etc., he won't eat it.

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 8

I would use the German's Sweet Chocolate cake recipe from the box of Baker's chocolate. It is a rather complicated recipe and I would let her know there is an additional charge for it. The mixing method is much more than just dumping ingredients in a bowl and mixing. Depending on the size of the cake she wants, it could turn into a lot of work.

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 8

For my European ears a German chocolate cake would be a "schwarzwalderkirschtorte"- cake. A chocolate cake with bittersweet chocolate trempered with kirsch and filled with cherryfilling and whipped cream.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 8 Jun 2012 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 8

For Americans, the cake uses special chocolate called German's Chocolate. I would just mess up the story if I tried to repeat it. However, I just made a "german" chocolate cake by tweaking a recipe I had for it. I substituted Hershey's milk chocolate(they had a deal for 7 oz. bar for 1.98 at wal-mart) and used coconut milk instead of buttermilk and it was DIVINE! I could not tell the difference from when I shelled out the nearly 4 bucks for "Baker's" brand.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%