Simple Syrup Question

Decorating By kakicake Updated 4 Jun 2012 , 1:10am by Pearl645

kakicake Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:12am
post #1 of 8

First, I want to apologize if they're are several posts on this subject from me. I tried several times to submit my question, but it just wouldn't take the darn thing. I'm still learning how to navigate around here. Anyway, quick question. Do I apply my simple syrup to my cake layers while they are still warm or wait until they have cooled. Thanks !

7 replies
icer101 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 1:29am
post #2 of 8

You can apply it at anytime. This link is a good read. hth

kakicake Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 12:30pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks Icer101 for the great info !

RisingBakery Posted 2 Jun 2012 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 8

Just an idea with your simple syrup I like to flavor mine to match the cake to add just a little bit more. I also have found mine to work best when I add it after the cake is cool since i usually tort my cakes and place the syrup in the middle.

KoryAK Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 12:50am
post #5 of 8

I add mine as I am assembling my cakes. They are totally cooled at this point (usually the day after baking) but the syrup is warm. I torte all of me cakes and so I couldn't add it while they were warm even if I wanted to.

Pearl645 Posted 3 Jun 2012 , 4:18am
post #6 of 8

Do you guys put a filling in between cake layers even if it has been brushed or soaked with a syrup? I have never used a syrup on my cake layers. Was concerned that it might be too sweet with the cake and a layer of BC filling. What do you think?

KoryAK Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:07am
post #7 of 8

You will still need something to stick the layers together. At a minimum you can use a crumb coat amount of buttercream. I use mousse fillings (1/4-1/2" thick layers) in most of my cakes.

The simple syrup won't really add sweetness (even though it's half sugar), just moisture and any other flavorings you added.

Pearl645 Posted 4 Jun 2012 , 1:10am
post #8 of 8

ohhhh this is great news! I love the idea of a flavoured syrup in between cake layers plus a mousse flling.

Quote by @%username% on %date%