Using Sps With 3 Round Tiers And One Small Square Top Tier

Decorating By mbranko24 Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 12:03am by CWR41

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 31 May 2012 , 4:20pm
post #1 of 4

I have never used SPS nor have I made a cake this tall before. My son's birthday is the end of June and I am doing a 4 tier spiderman cake (12, 10 8 inch rounds ) and a 4 inch square top tier. I was looking to try SPS. Normally, I would use bubble tea straws but I am concerned more about the stability of the cake since there will be about 10 small kids (between the ages of 2 years and 8 years) running arouns my house. i am worried one of them will bump the table, disturbing the cake. i am not transporting the cake from my house.

My questions are:

1. Do i need to have a 12 inch round plate under the bottom tier, since it will be the bottom and will be on a cardboard cake base on top of foamcore? and

2. What about the top square? There are no plates for a 4 inch square that I see, so I assume i would only need a 10 inch plate and an 8 inch plate, and use bubble tea staws accordingly to supoort the 4 inch square top?

Thanks to anyone who can help me. I am a novice baker, I only get a chance to bake cakes for my kids and soemtime family birthdays and holidays.

Erin

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 31 May 2012 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbranko24

1. Do i need to have a 12 inch round plate under the bottom tier, since it will be the bottom and will be on a cardboard cake base on top of foamcore? and

No.

Quote:

2. What about the top square? There are no plates for a 4 inch square that I see, so I assume i would only need a 10 inch plate and an 8 inch plate, and use bubble tea staws accordingly to supoort the 4 inch square top?

Correct, but don't forget to put the 4" square top tier on a board to prevent your supports from piercing into the cake.

mbranko24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbranko24 Posted 31 May 2012 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you so much! Yes, I will have a cake board under the 4 inch tier.

For some reason, I never received an reply notice to my thread from Cake Central.

Have a great day :0

Erin

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 12:03am
post #4 of 4
Quote:

For some reason, I never received an reply notice to my thread from Cake Central.

Me too... I think the function hasn't worked all day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%