Which Flour For A White Cake?

Baking By hieperdepiep Updated 1 Jun 2012 , 7:44am by hieperdepiep

hieperdepiep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hieperdepiep Posted 30 May 2012 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to bake a white cake from scratch and live in The Netherlands, Europe. I am looking for a very nice fine light crumb. So I read here somewhere that using cakeflour is important, because one wants not too much gluten in it.
I can only find cakeflour here with already added rising agents.
The normal flour here is all purpouse flour with a protein content of 11%, unbleached. For a sponge cake I substitute some of this flour for cornstarch to get less gluten.

Today I found Surfina (brand Soezie), with 10% protein. That is probable better?

How much protein is in your cakeflour?

Gives substituting some of the flour with cornstarch the same result?

The flour here is unbleached. I've read that could influence the final result as well.

I would love some technical advise on flour from you!

6 replies
jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 30 May 2012 , 1:34pm
post #2 of 7

Cake flour is typically 8-10% protein.

Here is a link with more info:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

hieperdepiep Posted 30 May 2012 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jason_kraft

Cake flour is typically 8-10% protein.

Here is a link with more info:
http://whatscookingamerica.net/Bread/FlourTypes.htm

Thanks for the link.
So I think I will try the 10% flour first for the white cake, but I will be keep on looking for better flour.
Would it be better if I still would substitute some flour for cornstarch to reduce the amount of protein to 8 or 9 %?

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 30 May 2012 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 7

Not sure if you use whole eggs, but egg yolks will color a cake more than unbleached flour will... Are you using an angel food cake recipe?

rickymartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rickymartin Posted 31 May 2012 , 11:00am
post #5 of 7

I'm also want some technical advice for the same if anyone knows about this please help us.
Thanks in advance...!!!!icon_smile.gif

rjcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rjcakes Posted 31 May 2012 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 7

You can substitute all purpose flour for cake flour by the following (Just as you said!):

For each cup of all purpose flour, remove 2 T and add 2 T of cornstarch. Cornstarch is gluten-free so this will cut down on the gluten content of your cake to make for a more tender crumb.

HTH!
RJ

hieperdepiep Posted 1 Jun 2012 , 7:44am
post #7 of 7

I think I will go further witm my 10% flour en still substitute 1 T per cup for ultimate protein-content.

I heard bleaching makes the flour taking up more water .. or something like that. And gives less protein (as in Jasonkrafts link) Wich would be better for the crumb..?? And the white color ofcourse. So another thing we don't have here. Althougt bleaching sounds chemical to me.. in my -from scratch- ears.. Suppose it is not sun-dried bleached.. icon_lol.gifdetective.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%