Wilton Cupcake Liner Problem !

Baking By KsCakes09 Updated 7 Sep 2013 , 4:21pm by orangeoleander

KsCakes09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KsCakes09 Posted 25 May 2012 , 4:07pm
post #1 of 12

anyone else have a problem with Wilton cupcake liners lately? I just bought some @ Target & they are pulling in on the sides when I put the batter in them....I mean like every one. UUUGGGHH! I never had that happen before, maybe one or two, but not every one. Also one batch totally stuck to the paper liner (could be a baking problem?) I don't know if maybe I'm doing something wrong or if Wilton changed something.

11 replies
cakeladyforgod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeladyforgod Posted 25 May 2012 , 7:30pm
post #2 of 12

I have about come to the conclusion that the cupcake liner companies ( all of them) have changed something about the papers. Either they pull in and make wrinkles in the sides of the cupcakes or totally let go of the cupcakes after they are baked. I have read posts on here and tried checking all the things that were suggested and nothing helps.

PinkLotus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLotus Posted 26 May 2012 , 1:12pm
post #3 of 12

I had this problem constantly and it drove me nuts! I found that putting the batter in very slowly helped. But eventually I got too frustrated and started buying the Reynolds foil wrappers. They cost a little bit more, but there's no aggravation involved!

CakeMama625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMama625 Posted 29 May 2012 , 6:48am
post #4 of 12

I've been having this problem recently! I was buying the Wilton ones and they were great, I just bought some from the local grocery store and they are ALL pulling in! I can't stand it, they look terrible!! If anyone knows of a brand that doesn't do this please let me know!! Thanks!

Thegalnextdoor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thegalnextdoor Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 7:29am
post #5 of 12

Totally annoying! I have started inspecting the liners while at the store. If they are opened up too much, I do not buy them. I usually notice this with packs of 75 or more. Yea, it's lame-o. I have purchased quite a few grease proof liners from bakeitpretty.com, and they are usually not squished, but they are costly, especially for big project. I LOVE the scalloped red liners, make every cupcake adorable.

saraek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saraek Posted 21 Aug 2012 , 3:00pm
post #6 of 12

I am finding a lot of liners pull in now when I add batter, even when I do it slowly. I don't know if the liners are bigger than the pans now? I don't have the issue with foil liners or the new Color Cups from Wilton but they're pricey too.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:40pm
post #7 of 12

Most liners are packaged in stacks placed in plastic bags. It seems to me that they are "nested" in shipping and/or display, which spreads them open enough that they won't slip down inside the pans without folding in. I try to buy liners that are packaged in plastic cups that prevent spreading - seems to help. Reynolds has the lined foil and plain pastel ones in most grocery stores that aren't flattened out. Wilton has a new stack of 150 bright solids in a tube that seems to be firmly pleated and not spread out.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 22 Aug 2012 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 12

Most liners are packaged in stacks placed in plastic bags. It seems to me that they are "nested" in shipping and/or display, which spreads them open enough that they won't slip down inside the pans without folding in. I try to buy liners that are packaged in plastic cups that prevent spreading - seems to help. Reynolds has the lined foil and plain pastel ones in most grocery stores that aren't flattened out. Wilton has a new stack of 150 bright solids in a tube that seems to be firmly pleated and not spread out.

saraek Posted 24 Aug 2012 , 7:20pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks! I have bought some liners that come packaged in bags rather than the plastic cups. I've bought a few of Wilton's new liners that come in plastic packaging and have never had issue with them!

trebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trebakes Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 1:59pm
post #10 of 12

Saraek, are those the wilton liners in your pics? I need good red and black liners for a project. Should I go with them? Has anyone else forund a good liner?

saraek Posted 27 Aug 2012 , 2:23pm
post #11 of 12

they are Wilton but they're not the no color fade liners. Just regular liners I bought from the plastic bag packaging! they worked pretty well... not as good as the foil lined, but well enough.

I would get the foil lined no color fade for a project, or try bake it pretty and order some liners there icon_smile.gif

orangeoleander Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
orangeoleander Posted 7 Sep 2013 , 4:21pm
post #12 of 12

AI just made 3 different batches of cupcakes ( mini). ALL the chocolate Kahlua and mocha - different recipes came out great, looked perfect. However, MOST of the lemon cupcakes separated from the liners and look terrible. I had used mismatched liners for all 3 batches. (Reynolds and Wilton). I think you are all on the right track about moisture, but as I look at the lemon cupcakes, I see I could have filled them much more. They never rose over the top of the muffin liners. I only filled a few that rose to the tops. I'll bet if I had filled much higher, they wuld have grown over the ridges and held on. Then, as they cool, the moisture won't matter as much if the ridges are covered with batter. Next time, I'll definitely do a test batch, as I never know how much to fill cupcakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%