Coloring For Outerspace...

Decorating By kellyd01 Updated 30 May 2012 , 2:13pm by Ursula40

kellyd01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellyd01 Posted 22 May 2012 , 3:56am
post #1 of 3

I feel like I've been the queen of questions lately, but for some reason I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around things lately! LOL

I'm doing an outerspace cake. it's a 1/4 sheet cake, single layer, buttercream and then covered in fondant. I'd like to attempt a fade affect w/ my fondant dark blue to black... or at least get a nice dark blue color to represent space. Can anyone tell me if Satin Ice blue is blue enough... or is it a more royal blue? what about fondx, do they have a blue that would be dark enough? I don't think my hands will hold up to coloring enough white that dark of a blue.

Suggestions?

2 replies
escaliba1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
escaliba1234 Posted 30 May 2012 , 11:52am
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd01

I feel like I've been the queen of questions lately, but for some reason I'm having difficulty wrapping my head around things lately! LOL

I'm doing an outerspace cake. it's a 1/4 sheet cake, single layer, buttercream and then covered in fondant. I'd like to attempt a fade affect w/ my fondant dark blue to black... or at least get a nice dark blue color to represent space. Can anyone tell me if blue is blue enough... or is it a more royal blue? what about fondx, do they have a blue that would be dark enough? I don't think my hands will hold up to coloring enough white that dark of a blue.

Suggestions?

I am coming up against the same problem shortly, making the space background to a death star cake, so am interested in your cake and results.
Satin Ice Blue is more of a deep royal blue colour; I have used it on several cakes recently. It is a lovely colour but not quite right for outer-space, in my opinion.
I do not know about Fondx, not having used it before..
I was going to have a colour-practice morning, experimenting with colours, before actually making the real thing.
Would love to hear how your cake turns out, especially in relation to the colourings.
Good luck. icon_smile.gif

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 30 May 2012 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 3

If you can get dark royal blue just add some Navy to it, if you have an airbrush and want fading colours, airbrush navy into black onto the royal. If you start with royal blue fondant, you will not need that much colour any more to get it to where you need it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%