Black Fondant Nightmares!

Decorating By CakeGrasshopper Updated 25 Jun 2012 , 8:29pm by CakeGrasshopper

CakeGrasshopper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGrasshopper Posted 22 May 2012 , 2:17am
post #1 of 6

I've been an avid CakeCentral reader for about a year and this is the first time I am posting a question. I have made several cakes that required covering in black fondant and have had nothing but trouble! Ripping, puckering, drying out, cracking, stretching. It's just plain awful! I usually roll it out on a lightly greased surface. Ordinarily I use MMF, which never gives me the kind of headaches that store bought black fondant has given me. I have used Duff brand and Satin Ice and had major difficulty with both of them! I am looking for any advice to mend my relationship with black fondant, including but not limited to: advice on working with it, recipe for a homemade version that might be superior to commercial brands, or a brand that performs better. Thank you in advance for your assistance!

5 replies
Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 22 May 2012 , 10:59am
post #2 of 6

I use a store bought chocolate fondant and mix it with some pre made black. Then I Add a little liquid black.

let it sit over night and I find it covers much better than using premade black alone. It is also lovely and shiny. and tastes like chocolate instead of nasty black.

I use about a 2 parts choc and 1 part black ratio

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 22 May 2012 , 11:16am
post #3 of 6

I make black MMF all the time. I make regular mmf and then add some brown colouring to get a rich dark brown and then add some black & voila!
Alternatively I have also added dark chocolate to boost the colour. I do not advise adding cocoa as that makes the MMF very dry.

ChilliPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChilliPepper Posted 22 May 2012 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 6

I always use bought chocolate fondant and add black colouring. Even bought black fondant tastes awful and I find that if you are covering a cake the chocolate icing tastes much better. On a personal note - I loathe black icing too!!!! xxx

CakeGrasshopper Posted 24 May 2012 , 12:55am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much ladies!! I will be trying your ideas on my next cake! icon_smile.gif

CakeGrasshopper Posted 25 Jun 2012 , 8:29pm
post #6 of 6

Hi ladies,
I just wanted to thank you for your advice. I have rekindled my romance with black fondant cake designs thanks to your help. I finally got brave and tried a homemade black fondant recipe...I can not recommend Rhonda's Ultimate Chocolate Fondant recipe highly enough! It turns very dark black without the addition of too much color and it rolls out and covers a cake like a dream! Not to mention the fact that it costs about 80% less than buying store bought black or chocolate fondant. I love this recipe!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%