Moving--What Can I Take With Me?

Lounge By traci_doodle Updated 18 May 2012 , 12:01am by traci_doodle

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 17 May 2012 , 3:05am
post #1 of 4

Anyone know what's okay to take with you as far as ingredients when you move? I am moving from New York to California, so my stuff will be sitting in a hot truck for a week and will be traveling through high altitudes (think air pressure). Is it risky to take food coloring--will it leak everywhere? Would my extracts still be okay to use? Anything else I should think about? Keep in mind that this is for personal use, not for selling to customers.

3 replies
jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 17 May 2012 , 4:55pm
post #2 of 4

I'm in the process of moving as well, only all of my cake stuff has to go into storage indefinitely. I've packed everything - colorings, flavorings, powders, dusts, etc. As long as the tops are on securely, I'm thinking they'll be fine for a while even though the temps here are already in the 100s. I'm hoping to get them out of storage as soon as possible. Whatever doesn't survive will have to be replaced, naturally, but i'm not expecting anything to leak.

I would think a week or even two wouldn't present that much of a problem. Just think - how long did these things sit on shelves before you bought them? They were transported in hot trucks and sat in hot warehouses. They should be fine.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 18 May 2012 , 12:00am
post #3 of 4

I have move twice where I had to put things in storage for several months. I suggest you put opened bottles like vanilla or food colouring in small snack/ziplock bags and still wrap some paper around them. I found cardboard boxes that had slits/spaces and put them upright in there ... lots of newspaper on top/bottom to protect when moving. The possiblity is a bottle might break or leak all over.... was able to use my stuff because it was just a matter of 2-3 months. I had rubbermaid boxes ( very small size) to keep the food colours in because even at home I've had colours leak once in a while. Good luck with the move!!!!

traci_doodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci_doodle Posted 18 May 2012 , 12:01am
post #4 of 4

Thanks! That's kind of what I was thinking. We'll see how it goes, I guess. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%