Royal Icing: Only Need A Small Amount, And Fast!

Decorating By ashtree250 Updated 11 May 2012 , 10:52pm by KoryAK

ashtree250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ashtree250 Posted 11 May 2012 , 8:40pm
post #1 of 4

Hi, I need a recipe for a very small amount of royal icing, like one that uses only 2 cups or less powdered sugar. I just need it to make some letters to put on a graduation cake for this weekend. Everytime I try to cut the wilton recipe in half I always mess it up some how, so i always end up making a full batch then having to throw half of it away. Also,.. I need to make them black, I'm thinking of using black gel coloring to at least make it dark grey then plan to paint the letters with coloring/vodka mix. Unless someone has any better ideas? Maybe a chocolate royal icing to start with? Is that even possible? I havent done a lot of experimenting with royal icing (only done a few cakes with royal decor on them) so I appreciate any suggestion! I only have today to make these so i hope i can get some fast replies! icon_smile.gif Thanks!

3 replies
SugaredSaffron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugaredSaffron Posted 11 May 2012 , 9:35pm
post #2 of 4

Try this recipe:

Royal Icing Using Egg Whites:
2 large (60 grams) egg whites
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
3 cups (330 grams) confectioners (powdered or icing) sugar, sifted

Royal Icing Using Meringue Powder:
4 cups (440 grams) confectioners' (powdered or icing) sugar
3 tablespoons (30 grams) meringue powder
1/2 teaspoon extract (vanilla, lemon, almond)
1/2 - 3/4 cup (120 - 180 ml) warm water

http://www.joyofbaking.com/RoyalIcing.html

I make teeny tiny amounts by scaling down that recipe. You can put cocoa in royal icing to turn it brown, but if I need black I just use the extra strength black food paste colour and it works fine.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 11 May 2012 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 4

I can't give exact measurements because I usually eyeball it to get the amount I need.Just crack an egg and dribble 'some' white into your whisking bowl ( by 'some' I mean about 1/2 teaspoon or so) Whisk this lightly with a fork then stir in icing sugar by the 1/4 cup -making sure all the sugar is disolved before adding more- until you get the consistency you need. It sounds too simple, I know, but try it.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 May 2012 , 10:52pm
post #4 of 4

Just stir egg whites and powdered sugar together in a bowl with a spoon to consistency. You can make the tiniest amount you want that way.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%