What Brand Of Fondant For Lace Molds?

Decorating By CherylWI Updated 6 May 2012 , 12:16am by BlakesCakes

CherylWI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherylWI Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 3

I have an upcoming wedding cake with several pieces of fondant lace on it. What brand of fondant will "hold" the lacy look best? I've always made MMF, but using that in a mold doesn't work so well... the imprint "fades" away quite quickly.

Is there a brand that works best, or is there some technique to using the molds that keeps the imprint better than the MMF?

2 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:14pm
post #2 of 3

You can use satin ice, fondx, pettiice(i mix any of this with 70% fondant and 30% g/p.. Roll it thin , place in mold(i use double sided molds) place top part of mold on. roll over with rolling pin really good(don,t press really hard, it will make it tear. Pull off excess fondant from sides.Take off top piece and press any fondant on edge back toward middle. Then place top back on and roll lightly with rolling pin again. Set in freezer(if you have to. you don,t always have to. Then hold close to table and gently let it roll out of mold(use soft brush if you have to to help it get started. hthYOu can even use fondant and modeling chocolate to do this. Pearlize mold or after you take it out.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:16am
post #3 of 3

I'd say that the issue is with the MMF, rather than the molds, although deeper/more defined molds always work best.

MMF has no drying gums in it, so it's great for flat apps & stretch, but then it responds to the warmth & humidity in the environment and that means that raised details go kaput.

I'd suggest, at a minimum, adding some tylose/cmc/gum-tex to the MMF when making lace.

Another great option is to mix it with Wilton fondant--you'll get great workability & great taste--sort of an all around perfect product.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%