Fondant For Large Cakes

Decorating By sar02c Updated 8 May 2012 , 12:37am by BlakesCakes

sar02c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sar02c Posted 5 May 2012 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 13

Can someone please give advice on the best way to do fondant for a larger size cake...as in the best way to move it and how to keep it from cracking, etc??? I had to do fondant on a 9X13 sheet cake that was 4 inches high. I had so many problems with the fondant...I put a bunch of ps on my mat I was working on and it still stuck. I had trouble trying to move that huge of size of fondant from the mat to the cake. It kept stretching and ripping. I worked as fast as I could and the fondant was still soft but was cracking all over the cake. I used Rhonda's MMF recipe from on here. Any tips would be helpful. Are there any brands that are easier to work with than the MMF that don't cost a fortune??

12 replies
puddles_gal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puddles_gal Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:10pm
post #2 of 13

I have a blue silicone mat that I lightly grease with shortening. I then roll my fondant out (I use Satin Ice) and then flip the entire mat over, fondant and all (it adheres to the mat) and place the mat over the cake and gently pull back the fondant onto the cake. There's no sticking or tearing or ripping at all. Love my mat! icon_biggrin.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 5 May 2012 , 9:13pm
post #3 of 13

I highly recommend The Mat for large cakes. The fondant sticks to the mat while you line it up on the cake then peal the plastic away. Some on here use a similar kind of vinyl to avoid buying The Mat.

sweethappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethappy Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:30pm
post #4 of 13

I use a mat too, but on very large cakes I use cellophane to roll the fondant on, I don't use any icing sugar or corn flour or anything on the cellophane to stop the fondant sticking to it. It works all the time, once you lift the cellophane with the fondant on it won't fall off until you peel it off once it is on your cake. Hope this helps.

sweethappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethappy Posted 5 May 2012 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 13

I use a mat too, but on very large cakes I use cellophane to roll the fondant on, I don't use any icing sugar or corn flour or anything on the cellophane to stop the fondant sticking to it. It works all the time, once you lift the cellophane with the fondant on it won't fall off until you peel it off once it is on your cake. Hope this helps.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 5 May 2012 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

I put a bunch of ps on my mat I was working on and it still stuck. I had trouble trying to move that huge of size of fondant from the mat to the cake.

From what I gather, you're not supposed to use powdered sugar. Check the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N5yrYZgIXr8[/quote]

arlenej Posted 5 May 2012 , 11:15pm
post #7 of 13

Quote:
Quote:

I put a bunch of ps on my mat I was working on and it still stuck. I had trouble trying to move that huge of size of fondant from the mat to the cake.

From what I gather, you're not supposed to use powdered sugar. Check the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=N5yrYZgIXr8[/quote]

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:28am
post #10 of 13

I roll on one piece of the Mat--NEVER, ever on PS or CS--with barely a smear of crisco on it.

I pick up the fondant on my rolling pin (so that the rolled on surface is hanging over the pin and the back side of the fondant is "up"). This works for pieces up to 21x21. For larger pieces, I have to pick it up on a 24" piece of pvc pipe that I use just for this purpose.

Rae

BlakesCakes Posted 6 May 2012 , 12:29am
post #11 of 13

dup. post

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 7 May 2012 , 11:58pm
post #12 of 13

I use the clear plastic sheeting I get from walmart fabric department.

I use two pieces, one on top and one on the bottom...I don't use ps or shortening at all. Once rolled out I take the top piece off and flip the bottom one over and center it on the cake, I start peeling the fondant on one end and once you get it started about 3 inches then just pull the plastic slowly back toward the other end and it will peel off very nicely...I just did this with a 27" x 36" piece of mmf on saturday to cover a very large sheet cake. (24" x 17" x 4.5")

BlakesCakes Posted 8 May 2012 , 12:37am
post #13 of 13

Yes, that's the same way that the Mat is to be used, except that it does need some minor shortening to condition it.

Of course The Mat is FOODSAFE and vinyl from WalMart isn't.

Just a case of knowing better, doing better.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%