Best Way To Get A Pearl Finish On A Buttercream Cake?

Decorating By lorieleann Updated 3 May 2012 , 2:29pm by costumeczar

lorieleann Posted 3 May 2012 , 4:30am
post #1 of 5

I haven't purchased an airbrush yet (it's on the list for this summer!), but i have two (last minute) orders that would benefit from a pearlized and metallic finish on buttercream. Do you have a favorite product for creating a pearl and/or metallic sheen on buttercream?

thanks for the ideas.

4 replies
elisaber Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:06am
post #2 of 5

I would try a pearl spray, like this one: http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=20036&name=Lustre%20Spray%20Pearl%20by%20PME I've only tried it on fondant, but I don't see why it wouldn't work just as well on buttercream.

sweettreat101 Posted 3 May 2012 , 7:57am
post #3 of 5

PME pearl spray it's wonderful I have used it on fondant and butter cream.

poohsmomma Posted 3 May 2012 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 5

Yes, the PME pearl spray works really well. You just have to make sure you get the bc really smooth because the sheen of the spray highlights any imperfections.

costumeczar Posted 3 May 2012 , 2:29pm
post #5 of 5

Just an FYI, it alters the flavor of the buttercream too. I've had people tell me that the cake they got from a different bakery was really shiny but tasted horrible becasue of the icing. to get a really shiny finish on buttercream you need a lot of pearl sheen, and it doesn't enhance the flavor of the cake. I won't even bother doing it anymore because it doesn't give a good result.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%