Super Eggy Tasting Angel Food Cake

Baking By Bellatrixx Updated 2 May 2012 , 7:26am by Bellatrixx

Bellatrixx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatrixx Posted 1 May 2012 , 8:30am
post #1 of 8

has this happened to anyone? I followed alton brown's recipe exactly and it came out tasting... super eggy :/

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/angel-food-cake-recipe/index.html

7 replies
myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 1 May 2012 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 8

That looks like a LOT of egg to very little... well, anything else :/ I'm used to cakes using a couple of eggs maybe... but I'm not an experience baker, nor could I recommend how to adapt the recipe to use less eggs - the science of baking still baffles me! Hopefully someone else can give you a more useful pointer icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 1 May 2012 , 7:26pm
post #3 of 8

It's not exact, but this recipe is pretty close to the recipe I use. When you say "eggy" do you mean the texture was right but the flavor was like eggs or do you mean the cake was kind of gummy? A from-scratch angel food cake is going to be different than a store bought, mass produced, made of chemicals cake.

Bellatrixx Posted 2 May 2012 , 3:28am
post #4 of 8

the texture is spot on, it just has a strong egg flavor. As i let it sit out, the egg flavor became less prominent, but was still there :/

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 May 2012 , 5:39am
post #5 of 8

That's how many I use. I'm not sure what would make it eggy. Whites aren't usually the part of the egg that has the taste.

Angel Food Cake is dependent on the extract or flavoring you use. Did you use enough? Plus, because the flavoring or extract plays center stage, if it isn't higher quality, your cake will suffer.

I'm thinking it's not the eggs.

myxstorie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
myxstorie Posted 2 May 2012 , 6:13am
post #6 of 8

D'oh >_< I missed the 'whites' part of the recipe.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:03am
post #7 of 8

Don't feel bad. My last angel food cake recipe I developed failed four times before I figured it out and I lost the skin on my knuckle. Four months ago and it is still sore like I did it yesterday. I "shaved" it on a grater grating chocolate, glove and all.

By the way, my family loved the bowls of failed cake.

Bellatrixx Posted 2 May 2012 , 7:26am
post #8 of 8

Hmm. The only thing i can think of was is that I used my underdeveloped vanilla extract (i'm making my own , it hasn't steeped long enough yet) Thanks guys!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%