Sticky Situation

Decorating By sugar_cube Updated 1 May 2012 , 11:16pm by sweetkisses

sugar_cube Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_cube Posted 1 May 2012 , 3:48am
post #1 of 7

So, I have been trying to make fondant from scratch because no baker in town will even attempt it. I have tried three or four recipes that all come out WAY too sticky. Smooth and pliable, but fairly sticky. Having never worked with fondant before, how stiff should it be when I work with it? Anyone have a decent recipe or ideas on how to make it stiffer? They last recipe I used took about 9 cups of powdered sugar and was still tacky.

6 replies
metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 1 May 2012 , 4:57am
post #2 of 7

it might be beneficial to buy some commercial fondant (e.g. Satin Ice) so you can get a feel for what fondant is like.

also, climate can change how well fondant behaves. warm and humid make unhappy fondant.

midnighttrain Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midnighttrain Posted 1 May 2012 , 10:41am
post #3 of 7

I think that means you have to knead it more.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 7

What recipe are you using? The basic one is 2 lbs confectioner's sugar, 1 pkg gelatin, 1/4 cup water to soften the gelatin., 1/2 cup corn syrup, 1 tsp glycerine and maybe 1 tsp shortening if you want to add that. I make my own fondant and use that recipe all the time, then if I need to stiffen it up I knead in some corn starch, or to soften it I knead in some shortenting.

Commercial fondant generally doesn't have gelatin, it just has gums in it, so it has a different stretch to it. I like the gelatin version, personally.

sugar_cube Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugar_cube Posted 1 May 2012 , 10:21pm
post #5 of 7

The most successful one so far I've been using 1 Tbsp gelatin in 1/4 C water, 1/2 C corn syrup, 1 Tbsp glycerin, 2-lbs powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp shortening for kneading. It seems fine at first and then get super sticky after it sets. Very not yummy. I'm a chemist by training so I am thinking that the glycerin may be too much.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 May 2012 , 10:32pm
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar_cube

The most successful one so far I've been using 1 Tbsp gelatin in 1/4 C water, 1/2 C corn syrup, 1 Tbsp glycerin, 2-lbs powdered sugar and 1/2 tsp shortening for kneading. It seems fine at first and then get super sticky after it sets. Very not yummy. I'm a chemist by training so I am thinking that the glycerin may be too much.

I think that's too much glycerine, but it's about the same recipe as the one that I use other than that. Try eliminating the shortening and reducing the glycerine to 1 tsp, not 1 Tbsp.

sweetkisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetkisses Posted 1 May 2012 , 11:16pm
post #7 of 7

Why not use the marshmallow fondant recipe. Always has worked great for me and tastes good.
Melt 16oz marshamallows with 1tsp water and 1tsp flavor. add 1-2lb sifted powdered sugar until fondant is to your liking. Simple. Roll with cornstarch/powdered sugar.
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%