New And Just Getting Started

Lounge By ChiWOWa Updated 18 Jun 2012 , 3:54am by Mikomomof4

ChiWOWa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiWOWa Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:04am
post #1 of 8

Hi all,

I am very new to cake decorating. I have only decorated 2 cakes in my life and that was two weeks ago LOL. This is how it started...
I was channel surfing about 2 weeks ago and stumbled apon "The Ultimate Cake off"..I watched in stunned silence, the next show was "Cake Boss" and I was hooked!!
My husband and I bought a couple of uniced cakes on special at the supermarket, added a tub of Satin Ice fondant to the cart and came home and then the fun began!!
I did not know that you shouldn't use ordinary liquid food colouring to fondant. I did not know that you were supposed to use gumpaste for flowers (actually I had never heard of gumpaste till I found Cake Central!)
In fact, I think "clueless" pretty much describes me as far as cake decoring is concerned!
However I had a lot of fun and the results were not as bad as they could have been....but I am now an addict LOL and have ordered a few "supplies" and hope to do a lot more decorating, starting with a Mothers Day cake for my daughter.

I have attached two pics of my first ever attempts, if this is the wrong place I apologise and hope someone will steer me in the right direction.

Looking forward to getting to know you all and learning as much as I can.

Cheers
Terry
(New Zealand)
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

7 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:11am
post #2 of 8

Friendly advice:
Start socking away the money for all of the cake decorating "toys" you will want. I don't even want to know how much I've spent on implements that I haven't used yet......
icon_smile.gif

ChiWOWa Posted 1 May 2012 , 12:25am
post #3 of 8

LOL I have NO idea why one of the pics is appearing several times! How do I delete the extras??

Shanter, I think my husband is already planning on hiding the credit card icon_biggrin.gif

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 8 May 2012 , 7:08am
post #4 of 8

Welcome to a wonderful life ChiWOWa ,
I thought that this link might help you
http://www.nzcakeguild.org.nz/branches/branches.htm

The Guild branches are often the best way to start if you want to find a teacher, find out about demonstrations and just find people that love caking just as much as you do.

ChiWOWa Posted 8 May 2012 , 9:41pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you so much for that link! I never thought to look for guild info. Amazing timing, there happens to be a lady doing a demo in our little town tonight!! Needless to say I have phoned and booked my place icon_biggrin.gif
I'm so excited!

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 9 May 2012 , 3:34am
post #6 of 8

Wonderful , I hope you have a great time.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 17 Jun 2012 , 11:32pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiWOWa

LOL , I think my husband is already planning on hiding the credit card icon_biggrin.gif

Welcome ChiWOWa
I've not logged in for a bit so I'm late to welcome you to the party -and with all things cake, party it is!- I must say; your husband is a very smart man.....you'll need to wear him down, is all. There're so very many sites you can check. (You've already found this great one!) Check out Edna de la cruz, Anine2 and Mayen on Youtube (Oh! And Cake Camp!) And the Sugarzen blog! After you've worn hubby down you could check out Jesterscakesupply.com and Globalsugarart.com
Was that TMI? Do it all anyway, it's all great stuff! Again, welcome!

Mikomomof4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mikomomof4 Posted 18 Jun 2012 , 3:54am
post #8 of 8

wow those look great. thumbs_up.gif Great job.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%