Any Advice - Poured Fondant Method

Decorating By gabesmom Updated 24 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm by gabesmom

gabesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gabesmom Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hello all!!!

I have a cake to deliver on Saturday and I have decided to cover my Wiggles cake by using the Poured Fondant method.

Does anyone..... anyone at all have any tips, ideas, and words of advice for me? I've done my homework regarding this method and it doesn't seem difficult at all... almost sounds too good to be true icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank you to everyone who responds..... have a great day

gabesmom icon_lol.gif

8 replies
icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:14pm
post #2 of 9

I'm also curious about this - I recently had a poured fondant disaster when I was trying to make 50 little petit fours, but I can imagine that it'd be easier on a larger cake... I'd like to hear from someone that has had some success!

DCHall Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DCHall Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 9

I have never tried the poured fondant before. Do you have to cover the cake with a crumb coat first (like bc), or do you just pour it on the cake? I am thinking of trying it for a cake next weekend.

icedbycarrie Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 9

From what I understand, you do need to crumb coat first with either buttercream or a glaze...

gabesmom Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 3:55pm
post #5 of 9

mscarriecake, why was it a disaster?

icedbycarrie Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 4:20pm
post #6 of 9

I think it may have been too thin, and rather than using a BC to crumbcoat I used a raspberry glaze... I couldn't get the cut edges smooth, and I basically ended up with a sticky mess of glaze! It tasted fantastic, though, so I ended up eating as many as I could and making a cake for the party rather than petits fours. The poured fondant does give a nice glossy finish when it dries. Next time I'll probably use BC as a crumb coat because it can smooth better after it crusts and won't show the bumps unederneath, at least until I've worked with poured fondant a little more. I really can imagine that working with a larger cake would be much easier than trying to start out with those silly little things! I'd love to see your cake when you're done - my nephew loves the Wiggles! Good luck - I'm sure it will be great! Hopefully someone out there can give some better advice...

gabesmom Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 9

thanks mscarriecake.... I'll be sure to give my Wiggles cake a nice BC crumb coating before pouring the fondant.

i'll have my cake posted by Sunday the latest. pls take a look and tell me what you think.

take care.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 6:50pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mscarriecake

I think it may have been too thin, and rather than using a BC to crumbcoat I used a raspberry glaze... I couldn't get the cut edges smooth, and I basically ended up with a sticky mess of glaze! It tasted fantastic, though, so I ended up eating as many as I could and making a cake for the party rather than petits fours. The poured fondant does give a nice glossy finish when it dries. Next time I'll probably use BC as a crumb coat because it can smooth better after it crusts and won't show the bumps unederneath, at least until I've worked with poured fondant a little more. I really can imagine that working with a larger cake would be much easier than trying to start out with those silly little things! I'd love to see your cake when you're done - my nephew loves the Wiggles! Good luck - I'm sure it will be great! Hopefully someone out there can give some better advice...

Ya know, TRADITIONAL petit fours do not have smooth sides. In fact, you should be able to see the layers through the fondant glaze! A layer of smooth buttercream or rolled fondant will give a smooth surface on the top of the cake for your glaze.

gabesmom Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 2:34pm
post #9 of 9

thanks DianeLM,

I'll go with the buttercream crumb coat and then cross my toes and close my eyes as i pour my fondant.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Have a great day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%